NP242 Full Time 4WD feels like Part Time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP242 Full Time 4WD feels like Part Time

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

NP242 Full Time 4WD feels like Part Time

I have not had a NP242 before, but when I put it in Full Time 4WD the front binds and learches on tight corners. (like in a parking lot or a turn). I know that is an issue with Part Time, but I did not expect it on Full Time. Honestly when in either mode it drives the same, and both lurch when turning. I know it's in Full Time (the dash says so). Also I have issues trying to get it back in 2WD after going 4WD. It takes seveal tries before It disengages the 4WD. The dash says 2WD, and the lever is all the way down, but it is behaving like it is in Part Time 4WD. I have to shift all the way to N and then push as fast as I can forward to 2WD (Stopped and transmission in N also) and try to drive and see if the lurching goes away. It feels like it shifts, but it is not actually disengaging the 4WD. Any suggestions? Thanks! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

You got different sized tires front and back? That can make it take several yards before it disengages completely. Might also want to get a novak shifter.
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
You got different sized tires front and back?
No, they are all the same. I was under the impression that these transfer cases (the NP242, NP231, etc..) were direct shift like a manual transmission. I assumed when I went into a gear, that is what it is in. So when I shift it, it actually may take a while before it completely engages/disengages after shifting?
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9mfd View Post
. . . I know it's in Full Time (the dash says so). . .
That right there is funny.

I've found 242's to be quite sensitive to linkage adjustment because there are so many positions. The first step I always take is to disconnect the linkage from the t-case and manually cycle the t-case through the different positions. If the problem persists then something is hosed inside the t-case.

And oh yea . . . don't trust those silly indicators on the dash.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
You got different sized tires front and back? That can make it take several yards before it disengages completely. Might also want to get a novak shifter.
Wouldn't make a bit of difference in Full Time. The NP242 has a differential between the front and rear outputs in Full Time. You could quite literally block the front wheels from turning and lift the rear end and the rear wheels would spin freely.

Only when you engage Part Time does the transfer case force both outputs to spin in unison.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I've found 242's to be quite sensitive to linkage adjustment because there are so many positions. The first step I always take is to disconnect the linkage from the t-case and manually cycle the t-case through the different positions.
I just put it in a month ago, and when I had it out I did that to make sure it was going in all posistions. I have adjusted the linkage a couple of times since too. I also have found the "stop" on the shift is in the incorrect position for 4WD Full, I have to pull it sightly past it to feel the "bump" of being in that position and for the indicator to show Full Time. (I could cut the "stop" out) I guess I figured if the indicator was showing I must be there since I have to guess where that posistion is. If I configure it to be at the stop for Full, then I can never get it back into 2WD, I have to adjust it for 2WD (and then it still gives me trouble, I guess I will have to adjust it again) but then pull past the stop for Full. I do not seem to have any issues with low (although I have only tried it once to make sure it worked.) or N. After getting things put back together and before I got it off the blocks, I did go threw all the ranges a couple of times and watched the tires spin and used the emergency brake to test the Full 4WD and it did work. (braked the rear and the front spun, in part time nothing spun with the brake) - Jeremy
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
dougmorgan99
1998 ZJ 

After my 242 swap I get the same issue you describe trying to shift back into 2WD. No adjusting of the linkage worked. Nor did shifting rolling backward, etc as others described. I actually can switch into all modes when everything is cold. I am at the point that if I use 4WD, I let it sit overnight then shift into 2WD in the morning.

There is a thread I haven't tried yet to try and fix my 242 shifting issues... maybe it will help you?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...e-fix-1225426/
dougmorgan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

I have a 249 and when I shift into 4lo I definitely "feel it" engage and can tell as I'm driving, but I've often thought of getting it up on jack stands and shift into 4lo - I've never done it, but I assume you'd be able to visually confirm you are getting power to all 4 wheels - right?
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like it's time to swap in a 249.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if you need an idiot light to tell you what 4wd mode youre in, you shouldnt own a jeep IMO
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Let's cut the OP some slack. Besides the comment about the dash indicator - I can sort of understand his question. If he isn't "feeling" the engagement as he shifts his TC, it does make it difficult to know for sure.
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

My 242 swap went well. I too have the disengage back to 2wd issue. Its sensitive. It takes a few trys. I did have the same issue with my 87 xj that had the 242 stock. As for full time feeling like part time, i would suggest shaking down the front end and checking tire pressure. My full time is amazing! I'll use it when it rains to prevent sitting at stop lights burning rubber. Turns like its in 2wd. But i'll still use it on moderate trails, when 4wd isnt needed the whole time. I love it!!! I dont think i'll ever use a 231 again. Just my opinion. Check/change the fluid. When it works its great! Good luck.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmorgan99 View Post

There is a thread I haven't tried yet to try and fix my 242 shifting issues... maybe it will help you?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...e-fix-1225426/
Thank you for the link, I will look into that. - Jeremy
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
if you need an idiot light to tell you what 4wd mode youre in
I was using it to confirm the transfer case internals where in the righ mode and my linkage working. If the light is on I know internaly I have the shift arm centered in its position. - Jeremy
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcyclone View Post
Let's cut the OP some slack. Besides the comment about the dash indicator - I can sort of understand his question. If he isn't "feeling" the engagement as he shifts his TC, it does make it difficult to know for sure.
Thank you. No I am not feeling the TC engage or disengage when it does, I notice it when making corners. It so far it has not shifted to 2WD on the fly. (no issues with PT, I am not sure if I have ever got it in FT, FT drives like it is in PT) I just checked the fluid, its good. So far I have only got it to actually go back to 2WD if I put both the transmissiton and TC in N, let it roll back than then shift the TC into 2WD. That so far has worked 50% of the time. (leaving the transmission in N) - Jeremy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.