NP231 Swap In Progress (went smooth) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP231 Swap In Progress (went smooth)

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

NP231 Swap In Progress (went smooth)

so saturday morning i grew some balls and started the swap. i pulled the tranny mount and cross member which gave me plenty of access to all the mounting bolts and linkage. as of 6pm sunday, the case is bolted up and the linkage adjusted, seems to get all modes on the tcase. now the drive shaft goes to out to be shortened, in the mean time, i will drain and fill the tranny and fill the tcase. i hope to test drive her some time this week of i can get the DS to the shop.

bottom line, i never could have made it happen without this site, thanks to all, especially JRmech!

oh, i got the VIC to read 4wd lo, so now i have to swap connectors and hopefully get 2wd and 4wd, can't wait to see if all works once i get her back on the road.

huntsducks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

I'm debating this swap for my niner. If you don't mind me asking y did you swap to a 231?
SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

the only reason I went 231 was for the SYE option, you get a beefy shaft with the kits, though I am shortening my stock driveshaft till I lift
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Lucky....
Still need to swap my 249
Will probably go the 242 route though so we can have awd for snowy roads if needed

congrats on pulling the trigger.
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post
Lucky....
Still need to swap my 249
Will probably go the 242 route though so we can have awd for snowy roads if needed

congrats on pulling the trigger.

thanks alot.

the 231 is a junk yard case, i paid $275 for it.

i drove her to work today, it drives so much better, i no longer have to apply throttle when making a u-turn, it is the exact opposite now, i have to apply the brakes to slow me down now

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.