novice help with broken suspension part: safe to drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > novice help with broken suspension part: safe to drive?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

novice help with broken suspension part: safe to drive?

i've heard a rattle and discovered i guess what you would call a sway bar link in the rear?

1st question. other than being careful around corners, is this safe to drive ? my other car is out of commission and i'm forced to take the jeep 140 miles a day

2nd question, it looks just as ez as unbolting the link and sliding a new one in however it really looks rusted. i guess soak and blast it a bit before trying and even a novice like me would be ok to do this?

3rd: what exactly do i ask for at the parts counter?

thanks

this is pic of left rear

jeep-broken.jpg  
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
nazark_18

It will be safe to drive. Lots of older card didn't even have sway bar links on them. Just take it easy around the corners as you said and you should be fine. Go to the parts store and ask for a rear sway bar link. Its relatively cheap and easy to install.
nazark_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I would replace all 4 of them, fronts and rears. If one of them broke due to rust, the others probably aren't far behind. The parts are cheap enough. Id do it just for the peace of mind
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Be careful what you buy. Get Moog or better, The parts store brands are CRAP that dont fit well.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree on going w/the Moog rear sway bar links and they aren't very pricey at $11/each as can be seen below for your 96.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...oog_20517701-p

You can try PB soaking but you may need to break, grind, sawz-all, hacksaw, etc., that top bolt/stud off the sway bar itself. Believe I'd also be installing a large round washer on the bottom of the sway bar bracket since it's rusted with a larger than normal hole.

Check your front sway bar links too and if they're straight OE ones they're junk and often break. It still intact fine but the Moog front ones have a ball/socket pivot which works a whole lot better. Front Moog sway bar link is a K3196 but awful pricey at Advance ($43.99) even when using a discount code. Amazon sells them for $30.35/each w/free shipping.

Good luck and ask if you have any problems.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

ty for the advice. it seems so for tomorrow i just need to get the LR one so i can stop the rattling, then maybe do the RR if i have time. ill have to pick up a washer too, didnt realize that hole was bored out lol. i guess i gotta bring out the breaker bar and recip saw from what you are saying lol.

will have to get under tomorrow and check out the front since i didnt think to yet.

im guessing i broke the rear when i did an emergency move around someone that pulled out from a side street.

so now can anyone tell me why i go over bumps i feel that he steering wheel is super loose and bouncy? my 1st thought is shocks probably? 130K and i'm guessing originals on it. are they just as ez for a novice
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

If the steering wheel is loose you probably need to adjust your steering box
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

the wheel itself isnt loose..it's more like when i hit a bump i imagine if i was beside my car id see the wheels wobble. ..the whole front end seems momentarily loose. tomorrow ill look around to see if anything obvious
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Actually you might be able to break that nut on the rear sway bar link loose with a whole bunch of PB, a 6-pt socket on a breaker-bar, and vice grips or a pipe wrench if the shaft/bolt wants to spin.

Also look at the front sway bar links to see if they're broke. I used to break those OE ones on just bumps on my gravel drive all the time. May want to also check the ball joints, track bar bolt and the steering stabilizer connection too.

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You can try PB soaking but you may need to break, grind, sawz-all, hacksaw, etc., that top bolt/stud off the sway bar itself. Believe I'd also be installing a large round washer on the bottom of the sway bar bracket since it's rusted with a larger than normal hole..
i mentioned maybe needing a washer to the guy at the parts store but how he put the thing together , he said the 2 bushings would be around the axle part so he didnt see the need for a washer

sooo now i'm a tad confused or maybe misunderstanding where you wanted the washer.
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjeep View Post
i mentioned maybe needing a washer to the guy at the parts store but how he put the thing together , he said the 2 bushings would be around the axle part so he didnt see the need for a washer

sooo now i'm a tad confused or maybe misunderstanding where you wanted the washer.
Since 2 of the rubber pieces would sandwich the axle bracket, where it's rusted w/larger than normal hole in your pic, guess you really wouldn't need an extra washer. Sorry for the confusion and I'd at least put some type of grease in there so the bracket doesn't rust out anymore.

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

as in the bearing grease i use for my wheel bearings?
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

That would work and typically I use spray white grease for about everything since it's so much easier to work with but doesn't last as long.

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
luckyjeep
1996 ZJ 

hmm i may have that. did my garage door tracks a few years ago. must search cabinet. this job is now put off a few days. didnt get to it today and cant tonight

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.