not sure where this vacum line goes.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > not sure where this vacum line goes....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
leog1985
1997 ZJ 

not sure where this vacum line goes....

i dont know where this vacum line goes....my heat it stuck on defrost and not sure if this is why.it comes off the intake and goes around to the cruise control and i loose it from there.the line going to the module under the battery tray is good and not broken.cruise control works and engages.

leog1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Nothing coming off of the intake correlates to the heating and cooling system.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

On my 97 grand it is caped off. Must be a add on to yours, I would cap it off until you find its connection. Thing may be working but not the right way with the Vacuum leak.
gunner44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The other end of thart line goes through a grommet at the firewall. It is the supply line to the HVAC and probably why your HVAC doesn't work (def is the default position). The broken lne should be right behind your hand in the pic and it goes through the grommet that the a/c lines go through.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Correction: Things may be working but not the right way with that Vacuum leak.
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I have the same issue on my 1993 ZJ - that tee is capped off, so there is no vacuum line going through the firewall to the HVAC. It looks like there used to be one, though, because there's a little indentation in the foam seal that the AC lines go through that looks just the right diameter for a vacuum line.

That tee has been capped off ever since I've had the ZJ (2 years now) and when I first got it, the AC blew through the dash vents, but only weakly, and it's got worse to the point that there's just no airflow through the vents at all. How come it ever worked at all if it's not getting a vacuum source?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
leog1985
1997 ZJ 

Thanks ill look on my break today.I just figured I would ask befor I rip the dash apart.....and most likley my hands too.
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Looked at your profile, You have a Grand. Manual temp control systems use vacuum, If you have a Grand you should have Auto Temp Control, uses electric motors.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner44 View Post
If you have a Grand you should have Auto Temp Control, uses electric motors.
Aha! That finally explains it... Haynes implies that all the AC systems use vacuum control. Thankyou, it makes sense now Although I've still got to pull the damn dash to fix my airflow problems
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

This is from my factory manual for the 97 Grand. The ATC is a option and maybe why Haynes doesn't cover it. If you can put the system in auto control with the panel dials then electric motors control the doors. I would get a some information on it, and pictures if possible, before starting to rip into it.

What I get from fast reading it the system is a mix air type so the air is never blocked, the amount that goes past the heater coils versus bypassing the coil is what the door, or flap, do. When you put it in recirculation a door blocks outside air. The fan keeps putting out the same amount of air corresponding the dial position in manual or what the brain box tells it what speed to be in to keep the temp you set.

If it was me - - I would not put the dial in AUTO, turn the fan on high, this bypassed the brain regarding fan speed. Short of a mouse nest or blocked filters, (along the outside of the front window that gets ice, snow, leaves, I will look into interior ones,) you have to be getting air. If in Auto and no filters blocked the problem would have to be is in the control module. If the door motor was not working you would get to much heat or cold air.
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Ok, I reread the hole thing, I need to get a life, The first conclusion is you are giving to little information to be of help. Second you need a factory manual, no way here, without making this the longest thread on the site, especially if the problem is in Auto. Third - what I did give you is badly written, sorry, but you should get the idea. With that said

I see no other filters except along the window under the hood. If you are using the recirculation door, by the fan, it does not show a filter. "dumb" The squirrel fan blades will be a mess from what ever has been pulled through it for the last near twenty years. I would get my vac and see what I could suck out of that area and any other, using any opening I could find including the under hood one. I would still turn off auto, both dials, to isolate the problem. I can not see any of the doors, no matter what position they are in, preventing the air form moving. All JZ Jeeps use the same housing, manual or ATC, that includes doors, etc. the difference is in the way they are operated - electric/modal or vacuum. If you are not using the recirculation button, door is closed, outside air intake is free of blockage, fan is running, you are getting air. --- unless the fan cage is gunked up. If you are using the recirculation button, move the wife's purse by her feet, away form the intake.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
leog1985
1997 ZJ 

i dont have climate control.i have the dials you turn on my dash.should i have the climate control in a laredo?
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by leog1985 View Post
i dont have climate control.i have the dials you turn on my dash.should i have the climate control in a laredo?
ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) came standard on the Limited, not the Laredo.
My '98 has the same "t" fitting. As mentioned earlier, it goes thru the firewall and is for the vacuum actuated heat/defrost motors.
vac.jpg  
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
monkeym38a1
1961 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
The other end of thart line goes through a grommet at the firewall. It is the supply line to the HVAC and probably why your HVAC doesn't work (def is the default position). The broken lne should be right behind your hand in the pic and it goes through the grommet that the a/c lines go through.
What he said!
good luck!
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) came standard on the Limited, not the Laredo.
My '98 has the same "t" fitting. As mentioned earlier, it goes thru the firewall and is for the vacuum actuated heat/defrost motors.
agreed had to put a piece of hose on mine to reconnect the 2 broken lines back together so it would come off of defrost its easy
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.