Not lifted enough? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Not lifted enough?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Not lifted enough?

So awhile back I installed my 2.25" BB. When installing i left the rear rubber spacer in place as well was making the BB at an angle (they are a complete round spacer BB 4wheelcustoms). I left the same stock rubber isolator in the front. I been looking at the jeep and kind of not digging how it angles forward now. I measured the front and with the stock isolator and BB it all ends up with 3" and the same for the rear (3-3.5" rear almost). Now I was thinking maybe i can add maybe one more inch spacer to the front? But what about replacing parts as well like LCA, track bar, TC drop?

JohnC7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You're never lifted enough.

Your coils have probably sagged, causing the rake. You don't want to add spacers to go over 2", starts to do bad things. Edit: saw you're already rocking the bilsteins, nice!

Never do a tcase drop, everything I've read says it's not worth it. Even the guys at 5 and 7 inches say they don't need one.

An adjustable trackbar like jks is a good idea for any lift to keep the axle centered. You also need to extend your sway bar links to keep the sway bar working correctly.

After about 2" you really need to start thinking about adjustable control arms. At least in the front, maybe only the front uppers (if I remember correctly).

If it was me I would toss the spacers and get 4" lift coils, bilstein shocks, do all adjustable front CA's, JKS adjustable track bar, JKS discos, Moog steering stabilizer.

The other thing you might do is OME HD coils and bilsteins for a 2.5" lift and then toss a 1" spacer on top, JKS adjustable track bar and discos, steering upgrade. That would ride extremely well.

Definitely PM kolak and talk to him about options, he'll get you setup with what you need to do this right and and a good price too.

What size tires do you want to run and what kind of wheeling do you want to do?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

How exactly would i test to see if they are sagging? I only had the BB in for two months almost.

I got the Bilsteins from kolak, they are awesome so far!

I bought some 3" sway bar links to replace the stock ones, bought locally for a real good price.

After measuring and seeing how the spacers themselves added 3" I'm thinking 31 x 10.5 tires now.
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Measure from center hub to fender lip. Stock is 18". You want it a little higher in the back because with a full tank of gas and all loaded up it will look like a dog dragging it's but.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...rings-1209151/

Also a good idea to replace the spring isolators if they are cracked.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
You will not need a Tcase drop on a ZJ

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

So I measured from the center of the hub ( center of wheel) to the fender lip and I got 20" so I'm not sagging which is good.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Is 20" from center of hub to fender lip good?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I'm at 20 5/8" in the front with a stock isolator above and below the 1.75" puck.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.