Noob here, first question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noob here, first question...

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-25-2003, 09:28 AM   #1
RonsWS6

Noob here, first question...

First off, wanted to say hi! Was recommended here from ls1.com members.

And my first question: just bought the jeep from the original owner, and seems stock so far. I looked through the engine for 5 minutes so far, but that's it (will do a lot more this weekend hopefully). Is this thing carbureted or efi? If memory serves me correctly, I coulda sworn the tube from the air filter feeds to the top of the engine block, just like the set up on my brother's '79 Trans Am. But I coulda sworn the owner said it was efi. As you can tell, I'm not too familiar with carburetors and would appreciate insight. I ask cause I'd like to get a remote starter which requires efi I believe.

Ooh, another question: Any problems with running synthetic differential fluid? Was gonna do Royal Purple 75W90 (have a tow hitch but don't do any towing). Any thoughts?
Thanks all!
Ron

2000 Trans Am WS6 - not stock, and getting further every day...
RonsWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
burton4584

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsWS6
First off, wanted to say hi! Was recommended here from ls1.com members.

And my first question: just bought the jeep from the original owner, and seems stock so far. I looked through the engine for 5 minutes so far, but that's it (will do a lot more this weekend hopefully). Is this thing carbureted or efi? If memory serves me correctly, I coulda sworn the tube from the air filter feeds to the top of the engine block, just like the set up on my brother's '79 Trans Am. But I coulda sworn the owner said it was efi. As you can tell, I'm not too familiar with carburetors and would appreciate insight. I ask cause I'd like to get a remote starter which requires efi I believe.

Ooh, another question: Any problems with running synthetic differential fluid? Was gonna do Royal Purple 75W90 (have a tow hitch but don't do any towing). Any thoughts?
Thanks all!
Ron
A 95 GC will either have a 5.2L V8 or a 4.0L I-6, both EFI. As for the diff fluid, there not real particular and can use basically any gear oil. Be sure to add LSD friction modifer if you have the Track-lock in the rear.

If you only have one tool, a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
burton4584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Stocker

Welcome to the boards!

Yup, what burton said. Also, if it came with a factory tow package, synthetic rear diff fluid is standard.
Unread 11-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
RonsWS6

Thanks all. And yeah, it's the 5.2L V8 with Quadra-trac. As for the air intake, it was driving me crazy so I ran outside (yeah, I'm at work and it's only 30 degrees) and took off the intake tube. It doesn't look like a throttle body (comparing it to my WS6); it's two butterfly valves sitting next to each other on a plate that says Holley. Is that a carb? I don't have a camera here, but I'm sure I'll figure it out this weekend (I'll check out my neighbors' cherokee).

2000 Trans Am WS6 - not stock, and getting further every day...
RonsWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
fureyj

It's fuel injected. Car manufactures have different ways of getting air and fuel into the engine. Some companies put the throttle body infront of the engine like in your WS6(those cars are awsome) and some are mounted on top of the engine like in your jeep. mine is a 1996 G.C. with the 5.2L and has the same thing as you. The 1989 and 1992 Caprices i use to own had the throttlebody on top while the 1994 Caprice is front mounted. Also not meaning to take over your thread how do u tell if the G.C. has the trac-loc rear axle. Mine has the quadra-trac, so i cant raise and spin to test and i cant break them loose to tell.
fureyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:04 PM   #6
iroc22

The 5.2L in the Grand Cherokees use a sequential fire multi port fuel injection system, extremely similar to your LS1; except the 5.2L is MAP and the LS1 is MAF. Yes that thing you look at that says Holley is the engine's throttle body. If you look above the valve covers you can see the fuel injectors and rails.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.