Noisy power steering pump? Possible quick fix. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noisy power steering pump? Possible quick fix.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
CTCSTrela

Noisy power steering pump? Possible quick fix.

Hey everyone, just as an fyi. My GC had a really noisy ps pump. Whined all the time, hissed, etc. It worked correctly, just loudly.

I flushed the fluid out yesterday, and Omg! It was the nastiest burnt brown crap I've ever seen. I have to assume that the previous owner took it to Jiffy Loooob, or the like, and that they used ATF to refill the PS reservoir. Once I replaced the fluid with mopar standard stuff, the pump was completely quiet again.

Hope this helps someone..

42RE
60K Miles
CTCSTrela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
UUJ1
1999 WJ 

I'm about to try that this weekend, I know my pump works fine, but alot louder than it should be.
UUJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

yeah mines louder too -- i had a busted hose not long ago and just replaed it with regular power steering fluid - the mopar kind will quieten it?
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Upside
2002 WJ 

To flush the system did you just pull the hose off of the reservoir return and crank the motor? I've used that method in another vehicle but not the ZJ yet. I have some extra PS fluid in a sealed bottle on the shelf. Do Jeeps just take standard PS fluid or is it mineral oil like VWs/Audis?
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I used a suctioning device to empty mine and added Lucas Power Steering and no more leaks( I used to have leaks too) and quiet.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
CTCSTrela

Lol, I used a roll of paper towels. Just stuffed them into the res, soaked up the fluid, repeat until it's empty. Fill with mopar, run for a while, repeat.
42RE
60K Miles
CTCSTrela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
1BADDROP

Don't forget to turn the wheel back and forth to clear out the rack also.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.