Noisy power steering pulley- 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noisy power steering pulley- 5.9

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Noisy power steering pulley- 5.9

The 5.9 has a squeaking power steering pulley. Is this a sealed unit, and replacing it will fix the problem? Or will it require a whole pump?

Unread 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

The pulley should be pressed on and it will not fix the squeak.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
The pulley should be pressed on and it will not fix the squeak.
Are you sure, there's a seperate part number for it on RockAuto.
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Are you sure, there's a seperate part number for it on RockAuto.
A separate part number for the pulley? Well yeah ...
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

The bearings are in the pump. The pully is just a pully.

Oh! When you do take the pully off, inspect & check the bracket. It could very well be cracked & broken. If it is it's very hard to see. If you take it off the head you'll know for sure. Way easier to replace while you have the punmp off.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Sure it's not the belt ? I have one in my garage that made squeals , clicks and more . I thought it was a bearing too , the noise seemed to come fr the PS pump . No visual wear or damage done to the belt either , it was 1 yr old when it suddenly started one day . spray the belt with water , or even a few squirts of WD-40 , brg noises don't go away , belt noises will disappear for a few seconds , but always come back .

BTW , I bought a new pump at the time as well , it wasn't changed until I installed a new box many months after , it just wasn't needed . The old pump , still good , now in the new pumps box on the shelf .

worth a try . If you do end up with a pump issue , be sure to switch valves in the pump (check my recent posts for pics)
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.