Noises under acceleration/turning and rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noises under acceleration/turning and rough idle

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
pauler
2001 WJ 

Noises under acceleration/turning and rough idle

Hey guys,

recently I've been having some troubles with my jeep,

I'm getting noise in tight turns and a bit of wheel hop .. now I assume this is my transfer case (quadradrive .. viscous couplers?) acting up .. so I'm wondering, what fluid is best to put in there, and where can I get it from? (I'm assuming its a dealership only thing?) Also, how do I change the transfer case fluid? Sorry for the ignorance, I've never owned a true 4x4 vehicle before, so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Also, my front differential makes a horrible whining noise whenever I'm in 4low, and the shifting is very rough in 4low .. very jerky on acceleration and deceleration so I assume it needs new fluid as well, so what kind of fluid should I put in my front and rear differential, and is there a specific gasket I can buy from chrysler for putting it back together, or should I just use sealant?

And to keep with the "do it all or do nothing" scheme of things lol, my transmissions been acting up lately (rough downshifts when slowing down) so I figure I might as well change the fluid in there too. How much fluid will it take, what's the proper procedure, and what kind of fluid should I get? I've heard varying opinions on amount and how to do it, so once again insight is greatly appreciated. Also, I have a tranny cooler so I assume this affects how much fluid it'll take .. also, for resealing the tranny is there a gasket I can buy or should I just use RTV again?

Also, are there any torque specs I have to follow when I'm rebolting my tranny pan/differentials/transfer case?

Lastly, My jeeps developed a rough idle. In drive at a stop light it's fine, but as soon as I put it in park it'll bounce around from 900-1000, and when I start it up it'll go all the way upto about 1900 or 2000 RPM's then fall down, but it falls really slowly, so help? I think It may be the little sensor in the throttle body, but I've completely forgotten what its called, and I can't seem to find the thread on cleaning it.

So fellow jeepers, help me out. I have a few more days off work and school before I jump into both head first again, and I won't have time to fix anything once I start school again. I wanna get my jeep in top notch running order before I start depending on her as a daily driver again.

-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
pauler
2001 WJ 

BUMP I sorted out the rough idle I think .. All I need to adress now is the clunk under heavy acceleration (50% throttle or more) .. help anyone?
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Check your ujoints on your rear shaft.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauler View Post

I'm getting noise in tight turns and a bit of wheel hop .. now I assume this is my transfer case (quadradrive .. viscous couplers?) acting up .. so I'm wondering, what fluid is best to put in there, and where can I get it from? (I'm assuming its a dealership only thing?) Also, how do I change the transfer case fluid? Sorry for the ignorance, I've never owned a true 4x4 vehicle before, so any insight is greatly appreciated.
I would like to know the answer to this.. I have a 98 jeep gc 5.9 limited.. I have also found on here that the viscous coupler can cause the wheel hop in tight slow turns... anyone agree?
joshuatchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatchandler View Post
I would like to know the answer to this.. I have a 98 jeep gc 5.9 limited.. I have also found on here that the viscous coupler can cause the wheel hop in tight slow turns... anyone agree?

Yes .... on a ZJ 249 (this is what you have) when the VC goes bad you will have these symptoms ^^^^ Do a search.

This has nothing to do with the OP's problem and is a bit off topic since he owns a WJ. The 249 TC was not featured in the WJ's.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
Yes .... on a ZJ 249 (this is what you have) when the VC goes bad you will have these symptoms ^^^^ Do a search.

This has nothing to do with the OP's problem and is a bit off topic since he owns a WJ. The 249 TC was not featured in the WJ's.
so sorry for misusing your forum. I'm not rich so i'm just looking for verification before spending my money on pointless repairs. I did do a search, several searches, in fact that's how i found this thread. just looking for help buddy.
joshuatchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
pauler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Check your ujoints on your rear shaft.
What exactly should I be looking for? It's a bit rusty but other than that it looks fine ... my transfer case is coated in some oil though, but its been like that since I bought it

Also, what do you think could be causing the high pitched whining noise when in 4low?

Another random question .. I understand the overland rock rails have mounting points that are only found on the 2002+ WJ's, if I have a 2001 WJ can I make the 2002 overland rock rails fit if I just mount them with self tapping sheet metal bolts? It'll mostly be for aesthetics and to cover up my exhaust ( My electric cutout sticks out a bit, looks kinda ugly and bugs me ) .. but I don't want them to be rickety.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.