Noises caused from driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noises caused from driveshaft?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
93 Cherokee

Noises caused from driveshaft?

Just got around to reinstalling front driveshaft. It was out from tranny swap some time back. I was going to put new u joints in but they seem fine. I got it in and now can hear what I would describe as a rubbing type noise. Almost sounds like once per revolution if that makes sense, not constant. Could this be from not lining

93 Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
93 Cherokee

As when you come to a stop sign upon slowing down you can hear the noise more pronounced slows down as vehicle does.
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
93 Cherokee

Don't see how driveshaft itself could make noise. Shouldn't be transfer case as its in 2wd.
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Natej_85
1998 ZJ 

Cv axle or maybe a wheel bearing. Even in 2wd everything in the tcase is still moving as far as i know, the 242 which im guessing you have is something like a 90-10 split.
Natej_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natej_85 View Post
Cv axle or maybe a wheel bearing. Even in 2wd everything in the tcase is still moving as far as i know, the 242 which im guessing you have is something like a 90-10 split.
no, that's the 249
the 242 in 2hi is in 2wd only. but, everything in the front end is spinning(including the drive shaft) because there are no lock out hubs on it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
93 Cherokee

Didn't hear the noise til I put driveshaft back in. Could u joints cause this? Sounds like coming from trams tunnel.
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
jepauto
1993 ZJ 

MIne makes noise if I am not in the gas or going up hill keeping a load on it.. If at cruising speeds, it'll make noise..

The blue stuff they put on the splines is gone on mine, so I'm assuming its the clearance causing the issue.

Before I lifted mine, it made noise also, but I greased it up and that went away. The minute I drove it after the lift kit (4.5") it made noise - even if I greased it.. Talked to JEREEL (drive shaft shop out here locally) and they say they hear that all the time..
jepauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
93 Cherokee

Well today I was under ZJ and noticed the front DS had some rotational play and made a clanking that could be what I'm hearing while driving. It's not the U joints as the whale shaft turns. I checked the rear and there is absolutely no play.
I got to wondering how this could be the noise I'm hearing as I was thinking front shaft shouldn't spin in 2wd but as I got under it after moving a few feet it had turned. So is this normal and is the play normal but excessive? Could this be what I'm hearing and if so how do I fix? THX very much!!!
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

in 2hi there's nothing holding the shaft in place you'll get rotational play from the lash in the gears and spiders in front. it's normal to have up to 1/8 turn of rotational play in that instance
the clunk could be the gears hitting the limit of the lash in the front end. if it's from the case it's probably a loose chain.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
93 Cherokee

Thx. After driving and listening yet more I guess it isn't a clank. More of a rubbing sound. So I guess chain is logical. Like mentioned it didn't do it til I installed front driveshaft so if I take out front drive shaft will the chain still turn? If not sounds like I can verify the chain as issue.
This was a junkyard replacement that I replaced seals in.
As always I appreciate all the input and ideas. I know it's hard to diagnose when not in person. I'm familiar with dials assembly if t case but not 100% sure of exact operation in different positions.
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
93 Cherokee

O.K. I pulled driveshaft ant the mouse is gone. So chain probable? When I dpi transfer case yoke I can hear what sounds like chain spinning. I guess this could be noise I'm hearing. Looking forward to more thoughts now that noise is gone after removal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.