noise while accelerating/decelerating around 60mph? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > noise while accelerating/decelerating around 60mph?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

Just out of curiosity... could it be very high pitched almost a whistle? and....do you have an aftermarket air intake. They do tend to whistle as you feather the accelerator.

Unread 10-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

The leaking seal might be an indicator of excessive heat in the pinion bearing area. I use an infrared thermometer to read mine occasionally.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...temps-1107353/

bearing-noise.jpg
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
are front pinion bearings difficult to change?

also, no doze what happened after you changed the front and rear diff fluids, did it help?
I've had the gear oil sitting here for about 3 weeks but I honestly haven't had the time to change it yet. This weekend was free but I've been laying in bed all weekend with a nasty cold. I'm hoping to change fluid real soon and I'll definitely report back.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
igids1
1997 ZJ 

I had the same noise, except it was almost always on acceleration. It also caused a pretty bad vibration. To be honest, the noise started almost a year ago, and I just kept driving, until it got to be really bad.

I jacked up the rear wheels, and gave them a spin, the yoke was sliding in and out about 4 inches, and it is supposed to not move at all. When I took the yoke nut off, the yoke fell out, and the pinion gear fell out.

It took me about 1.5 hours to get the carrier and pinion out.

You will need a bearing puller/remover or a press to get the bearings out.

I am waiting for the new bearings/races to arrive to install

Mine is the rear pinion bearing. But the carrier bearings were pitted up pretty good as well.
igids1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
Dukcaln

FYI. Changed my front diff oil and additive. noise went away about 90%. Have slight noise on acceleration only. More so at Freeway speeds above 55mph. Although the new frond diff oil really made it better I suspect the front bearing is going. Even know I have low original miles, what mileage usually sees these bearings start going out?
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
FYI. Changed my front diff oil and additive. noise went away about 90%. Have slight noise on acceleration only. More so at Freeway speeds above 55mph. Although the new frond diff oil really made it better I suspect the front bearing is going. Even know I have low original miles, what mileage usually sees these bearings start going out?
My rear carrier bearings went at 126 or so. They were bad when I bought it. What additive are you using in the front?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #22
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

I changed my rear diff oil tonight and took it for a short drive. It seems quieter now The fluid in the rear was a light gray color so it was definitely time for a change.

I didn't get to change the front diff fluid, because I spilled some and didn't think I'd have enough fluid to complete the job. I'll have to pick up a little more fluid and get the front done next week.

After I get the front changed and have a few days to drive it I'll report back again on how the noise is doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.