noise while accelerating/decelerating around 60mph? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > noise while accelerating/decelerating around 60mph?

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

noise while accelerating/decelerating around 60mph?

Hi guys

Today I noticed a noise while driving. While I'm driving with my foot on the gas, I don't hear it. Coasting with the foot off the gas I don't hear it either.

Where I DO hear it, is right before I take my foot off to coast, and right when I just start pressing the gas pedal to speed up again. Barely press the gas, hear the noise. Press more on the gas, and the noise goes away. Holding the gas pedal barely pressed and I can make the noise continuously happen.

The noise sounds like a humming kind of noise, almost metallic in nature? I first noticed it around 65mph. It also appears quieter at 60mph, and hardly noticeable around 55mph. Below that speed I don't notice it at all.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any pointers on where to look at, or how to diagnose it?

I appreciate the help!

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

May be the resonance from torque converter engagement
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

You might check the driveshaft u-joints, transfer case fluid, diff. fluid... Can you tell if the sound is coming from any location in particular, front, rear, center? Sometimes it can be difficult to identify where the noise is originating, but the more info you can offer, the better... How long has it been since the trans. fluid was changed, and the other fluids for that matter?
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcii77 View Post
You might check the driveshaft u-joints, transfer case fluid, diff. fluid... Can you tell if the sound is coming from any location in particular, front, rear, center? Sometimes it can be difficult to identify where the noise is originating, but the more info you can offer, the better... How long has it been since the trans. fluid was changed, and the other fluids for that matter?
I've only had the Jeep for maybe two weeks, and today is the first I've noticed it., I'm not sure where the sound is coming from.

I've topped up the transfer case, and the rear differential is full but weeping from the pinion seal. I'm not sure when the fluids were changed last but they're all on the list to be done shortly. I remember the Trans fluid being red and not brown looking though.
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If it was a bearing it would make noise all the time no matter if you are accelerating or coasting.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Dukcaln

mine will do the same thing, kind of a humming sound as you described, like under acceleration at the end just as you let up on the pedal then costing its gone. I was going to check the ujoints and service the front diff and see what that will do. go from there. kinda sounds like my noise
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If it was a bearing it would make noise all the time no matter if you are accelerating or coasting.
So that's good news then, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
mine will do the same thing, kind of a humming sound as you described, like under acceleration at the end just as you let up on the pedal then costing its gone. I was going to check the ujoints and service the front diff and see what that will do. go from there. kinda sounds like my noise
I'm going to do the same thing I think. I'll swap out the rear differential fluid and see if the noise goes away or changes. I'm going to try to get that done this weekend. I'm new to jeeps, I'm not sure how to check ujoints yet.

On the way to work this morning it didn't make any noise around 55 or 60 but it did at 65.

I was also able to kind of lean back in the seat and stick my head towards the back, and the sound definitely seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle.
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Are you sure it's not the tires? Imbalanced tires would make noise during certain speeds and not others. Try swapping the rears tire to the front and see if the noise changes.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Are you sure it's not the tires? Imbalanced tires would make noise during certain speeds and not others. Try swapping the rears tire to the front and see if the noise changes.
That's a great suggestion, thanks! I'll try to do that this weekend.

Another observation: The sound at 65 is a lower pitch than the sound at 75. At 75 the noise isn't louder, but the pitch is higher.

Also the noise is not constant, it only happens when i first start pressing the gas, or when I'm almost fully let off of the gas pedal.
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

sounds a bit like a pinion bearing going out.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
sounds a bit like a pinion bearing going out.
If that's the case, what does that mean? I know the repair is hard and has to be done by a professional, but how long until it goes out and what happens when it does?
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Tonight I'm picking up ATF+4 and a transmission filter/gasket set, plus 70w90 to swap out the differential fluids. I'll swap the fluids this weekend or this coming week and see what happens.
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

When my pinion bearing failed, it made noise while under a load. ( mainly when accelerating). I suppose it could also make noise any other time if it's bad enough.

Unread 10-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Dukcaln

are front pinion bearings difficult to change?

also, no doze what happened after you changed the front and rear diff fluids, did it help?
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I have no idea. I paid a local 4X4 shop who had a good rep to swap mine out. Didnt have time to jack with it myself. It was done in 1/2 a day....and for about $465...or maybe it was $365....I forget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.