Noise when turning left - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noise when turning left

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedly View Post

Unless Jeep PS pumps sound different from others, it dosen't seem to be the pump.
If it's the pump I would get noise both ways right?

Sounds like a creaking old boat or like something is gonna fall off. Low pitched groaning. Will hear it stopped or moving.
You are thinking of the noise it makes, if your pump is bad, or low/out of fluid. It has a different sound if your straining your pump.

How could it be your ca's if you are not moving?
Try this to put your mind at ease. Do not start it and just turn it left, see if you hear any noises.

98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
mrfister11

Also ive seen the bushing slide inside the control arm while sitting still.. One more thing. Have u checked where steering box mounts to frame
mrfister11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfister11 View Post
Also ive seen the bushing slide inside the control arm while sitting still.. One more thing. Have u checked where steering box mounts to frame
I do see that as a possibility, but it doesn't clarify the noise. That bushing would have to be toast and would be hearing popping sounds.

I have found that best way to determine what noises are or any front suspension issues on a zj, is to have a friend get in it and steer it back and forth while you get underneath it and look at each and every moving part while it makes that noise. Both with the engine on and the engine off. You have the most important part of the problem at your disposal. That noise. You should be able to determine where it is coming from and correct it.
Until the op does some basic checks we are just guessing.
98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Smedly
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OK my bad......
I was going by memory about this since it's been off the road because a tree fell on it

The noise is only there when I turn almost all the way to the left WHILE moving.
Not standing still.
I get a feeling like there's a little hop in the tire just before I hear that low creaking/groaning sound.

No noise turning right and it's not the ps pump.

Anyone please know what it is?
Thanks
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Smed
Smedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
mrfister11

have you checked anything yet? you havent posted weather you have or not.. can you drive to fort eustis va? i can check it for you
mrfister11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #21
Smedly
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That's a real nice offer mrfister, thank you.
But it's 400 miles 1 way, would be a nice road trip but I just can't. lol

I did check and with the wheels raised there's no movement and visually the only thing I see is the sway bar bolts (on both sides) are a bit bent at the top. Don't see any rub marks tho.....

The previous owner had front end work done also. It all seems pretty tight.

I'm thinking it may be something in the axle? Since it groans only when moving.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Smed
Smedly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.