Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Noise at 35mph or faster

931 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  -Joe- 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a wierd faint knocking sound whenever I get to about 35mph, Its not as noticable after about 55mph. It doesnt get faster or slower with speed.

Ive replaced the ujoints on the rear drive shaft and the front wheel bearings and its still there.

If there are no other suggestions I guess ill be replacing the front drive shaft u joints and move to the front axle u joints. (They are cheap and probably need replacing anyways) But I would love to loose the sound.

I do know my front driver side spring isolator is disintegrating but surely this wouldnt be causing it. (I plan to replace it with a BB lift sometime)

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Joe,
I would probably vote the front DS, but the knuckle u-joints could be the issue to. Sometimes noises are very hard to troubleshoot.

also,
If you go with a BB and don't keep the isolator, you'll get a very noisy suspension. Make sure you keep the isolators and if they are worn out, change them.

#4 ·
It doesnt change with speed but has a constant rhthym

I dont understand if I take the isolators out and put poly spacers back in how it would it transmit more noise? I wouldnt use steel spacers.

How hard are the poly spacers?

#5 ·
pull your front shaft and see if anything changes....if so replace it with a nice u jointed style front shaft. Its so worth the money!

#6 ·
I already have ujoint front axles and ujoints on the front shaft. So no problem fixing that if thats the cause. Just trying to narrow it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.