Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

noise

776 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mr_user 
#1 ·
:brickwall well i own a cherokee buy my mom has a noise i cannot figure out, it in the front right area its kinda a wineing (i cannot spell i know) nothing get hot and it starts at around 35mph its a 2001 grand cherokee strait 6 90,000 miles limited edition fully loaded if that helps any if you can give me some areas to look or know what it is plz let me know

#2 ·
Maybe a wheel bearing, pinion bearing, carrier bearing, etc... kinda hard to diagnose.

Pinion bearing:Grab the front yoke and see if there is any play, there shouldn't be.

Wheel bearing / Hub: Jack tire up off the ground, grab tire at the 9 and 3 position (like a clock) and see if there is any play, again, shouldn't be.

The 247 TC (quadra-drive / quadra-trac) does have a wherrring sound to it that is pretty much normal.

HTH

#3 ·
The year and number of miles on it would help. You can start by seeing if the front diff is full of gear oil. Chances are if its making noice, then the damage is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.