No viscous coupler and still binding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No viscous coupler and still binding

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
dmbranco

No viscous coupler and still binding

My 5.9 ZJ, 76k mi, had a viscous coupler removed, because of binding. Now that the VC is out, it keeps binding, so I'm assuming the problem is with the rear diff. What parts should I replace in the rear diff to fix it?

dmbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbranco View Post
My 5.9 ZJ, 76k mi, had a viscous coupler removed, because of binding. Now that the VC is out, it keeps binding, so I'm assuming the problem is with the rear diff. What parts should I replace in the rear diff to fix it?
Sounds like you need to do a lot more troubleshooting before replacing parts.

What, exactly, is 'binding'?

Are you sure your VC has been removed?

Do you still have a front DS installed?
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Could be as simple as changing the diff oil , and making sure the proper amount of friction modifier is added . Too much FM is no either . If not already in the oil , add 4ozs . Had an issue similar before .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Yep. Rear Diff
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.