NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #76
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

ZeeJay97, here is just another example of clean your connection first and I am glad to see you thinking about making it a sticky.

I have long thought that it should be a sticky or a national clean you connection day on older rides.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...fused-1400891/

I see on your profile that you have no one on your buddy list and all us old farts need all the new ones we can get because all our old ones are dieing left and right.

I found out tonight that a buddy's best friend has the terminal big C .

I don't mind getting old but watching friends die or suffer over the years sucks .

Please everyone, no need to say sorry about your friend's cancer because he is my friends best friend but I feel his pain too.

Anyway back to the point. I am adding you to my buddy list if you will have me .

Phit

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #77
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

ZeeJay97 add this to your easy no cost sticky list too .

If you are blowing fuses and your jeep acts crazy then crawl under your Heep and look at your O2 sensor wires and make sure that they are not worn through from friction/rubbing and grounding out somewhere .

Phit
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #78
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
...and all my skin grew back from the wire wheel that jumped onto the back of my hand

Quote:
Always !! Keep A Firm Grip On Your Tool !!
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #79
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

ZeeJay, going to clean grounds not the sensors.

A little history on my problem:
It used to only sputter driving up big hills at high elevation, but never stalled. Reaplaced plugs, wires & dist cap and no issues for a few months. Then the gauges went haywire would die and then come back, check engine light came on. A few days later car died, so had AAA tow to the dealership. They said it was voltage regulator in the ECU, so got new ECU. Gauges work now, no issues for about 3 or 4 days. Then car started sputtering and stalling....possibly the initial sputtering issue had just gotten worse. Took it to my local shop, tried crankshaft position sensor, but it sputtered within 10 minutes of leaving that shop, so returned that part and got a refund. Mechanic thought it was probably the O2 sensors, so replaced those. Worked for about 3 days. Then on a trip down to Hollister last weekend, after about 80 miles of driving it starts to sputter (not at high altitude this time). 10 more miles and it stalls completely. Had to wait about 10 minutes before it would start again. I made it all the way back, about 100 miles and stalled about 4 times on the way home. A few of them on the freeway. It does seem to do it more often when I'm going slow, but does it also at high speed.

So now I'm investigating and trying to figure it out myself. Mechanics are horrible at finding intermittent problems. Checked the fuel rail & fuel injectors the other night based on another post (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...olved-1176480/), but didn't see any blockages there. Pulled the spark plugs, all except cylinder 3 were fine. Cylinder 3 spark plug was a solid mass, see picture. Not sure what happened, but am going to replace it and try cleaning the grounds tonight after work, let you know if it works. Trying to avoid throwing money at various sensors...starting with cheap and free.
photo.jpg  
cherokeen77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #80
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

What kind of CPS did you use when you replaced it .
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #81
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

not sure, my mechanic purchased and installed crankshaft position sensor..
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #82
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

well i tried cleaning the grounds. although there was some gunk on the outside of the one on the engine block, there really wasn't too much gunk between the bolt and the lead on any of them. after i took a wire brush to everything i turned it on and just let it idle...didn't want to take it out and get stuck a few blocks over. engine stalled within 20 minutes. restarted it, engine stalled within 5 minutes. the second time when it stalled i had the hood open and though i hard something arc as it went out. sounded like it might have been in the neighborhood of the fuse box behind the battery.

if i coughed up the money for an obii code reader do you think that would catch it when it stalled out? anyone have a suggestion on which one to buy? they are pretty pricey at the local o'riley's auto parts...and you cannot return them after you open the box. doh!

thanks in advance for any help.
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #83
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
and all my skin grew back from the wire wheel that jumped onto the back of my hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Ya, Always !! Keep A Firm Grip On Your Tool !!
And if you are using a high speed wire wheel on a small part, walk to your vise and secure it, instead of trying to hold it with channel locks

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #84
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Ya, Always !! Keep A Firm Grip On Your Tool !!
And if you are using a high speed wire wheel on a small part, walk to your vise and secure it, instead of trying to hold it with channel locks
And wear good eye protection .

I have had wire pieces slung off and get imbeded in my fingers and I would hate life it was one of my eyes instead .
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #85
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

So far I've cleaned the grounds, replaced both oxygen sensors, crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor & wires, new alternator, new battery, new ECU.... Went on a trip this weekend and its still stalling. Mostly under load when going up hill. Seems like its misfiring, the #3 spark plug looks fouled, but can't figure out why. Will let you know once I get it figured out. Anyone have any more suggestions??
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #86
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

can't you swap your #3 injector and with another injector and see what happens ?
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #87
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ agree, but you may want to check the continuity in the #3 plug wire 1st. Or just switch the whole wire with another similar length plug wire and see if the misfire moves.

Did you go with a Mopar crank sensor this time? If not you may be asking for problems. You can check the CKP by undoing the connector and hold the plug/connector to the CKP with the locking tab up. Then take a multimeter set to the lowest ohm setting and put the probes on the middle pin (B) and right pin (C). If it shows any resistance at all the crank sensor is bad (per FSM). Also most often a bad CKP won't throw a code.

I remember ZeeJay saying when he was having real problems climbing any type of grade/hill his ZJ was bogging down really bad with no power. Turned out to be a clogged/bad cat but don't believe it was misfiring. Also we both had vacuum leak problems when replacing the headers. Turned out to be the brake vacuum booster rubber grommet which has a large line to the intake.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #88
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
but don't believe it was misfiring.
It threw a code 030(#) if I stayed on it above 3K, preceded by valve rattling and no guts.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #89
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
It threw a code 030(#) if I stayed on it above 3K, preceded by valve rattling and no guts.
Thanks for the info. So isn't 030 actually the code for an o2 sensor but actually it was a clogged cat?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #90
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Thanks for the info. So isn't 030 actually the code for an o2 sensor but actually it was a clogged cat?
I probably should have said that it would throw code for cylinder misfire, usually number one, but sometimes number three.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crank position sensor , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.