NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #61
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Well I went out and ran some more errands and she was running flawlessly.
I thought it was running pretty smooth. Before this problem cropped up, but it is even running smoother Now.
It may be my imagination but it seems like I am maintaining the same speed with less pedal now.

Uni: When you were talking about taking off that bracket to install the coil, I was thinking I should take all that crap off and clean that stuff, but I didn't

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #62
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good deal she's running flawlessly now, HD!

Yeah, I went the difficult route in removing the whole coil bracket but it needed it. It had never been off in 16 years and I had to put vise gripes on the wire connector blades/eyelets since seized, wrench on the bolt, with crap falling in my face.

Ticks me off to no end the dealer didn't check/clean the engine/PCM grounds when they installed the reman PCM 1 1/2 years ago. I'm sure that's what caused it to fail in the 1st place and why I had to install a 2nd one. Probably made my CKP fail twice too since it's grounded through the PCM. It's a vicious circle when it comes to these ground cables if they aren't clean/making good contact.

And if you ever have your alternator off again you may want to remove the mounting bracket and clean the where it connects to the engine block too. I couldn't believe how glazed/varnished it was since aluminum and steel/cast don't like each other.

All new/reman alternators now have a warning you better have a good ground wire attached. While maybe not necessary I made/ran a new ground wire from the right/bottom ground on the alternator to the front stud on the coil bracket just to be safe.

Also glad to see you washed it down and that dielectric grease should prevent some of the rust/corrosion in the future.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #63
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

35 miles today, and no problems

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #64
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Problem solved now? If so I'm going to need to check this out on mine :/
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #65
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Problem solved now? If so I'm going to need to check this out on mine :/
Yes still running great

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #66
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll

Yes still running great
Looks like I will be going through and checking all my grounds again... I'm really trying to stay away from buying another PCM..
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #67
tklingbeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye01
I had a problem very similar to yours and it turn out to be the battery. The battery was about 6 years old and when I replaced it with a new battery the problem went away.
I had same thing happen and it was battery also.. They gave me 3 bad batteries before one worked.. Have you checked the cables?
tklingbeil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #68
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

There should be a sticky on free stuff to do when your Jeep stalls. Mine had had at least 4 different stalls that were not related to the PCM or sensors that I fixed for about an hour labor. The next thing would be getting people to read the sticky.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #69
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
There should be a sticky on free stuff to do when your Jeep stalls. Mine had had at least 4 different stalls that were not related to the PCM or sensors that I fixed for about an hour labor. The next thing would be getting people to read the sticky.
That's a good idea, and if they weren't reading it, at least we could send them to it.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #70
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Looks like I will be going through and checking all my grounds again... I'm really trying to stay away from buying another PCM..
Please keep in mind here, that it is check and clean all your major connections and that doesn't mean just the grounds .

#1 Start with the battery .

There really aren't all that many and you can do them all in a hour or so and it cost you nothing unless you bust your knuckles .

Yes, it needs a Sticky and as I have said it here before many times .

" I have seen more Jeeps electrical problems fixed by cleaning the connections than by throwing new parts at it "

Not a perfect quote but close enough .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #71
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

I'm having a similar issue. Can someone list all the various grounds or sensors I need to be cleaning? I'll look up location in the Haynes manual.
cherokeen77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #72
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

+1 vote for a sticky
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #73
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I'm working on a post to cover all the free easy stuff. Will take a few nights to get it all covered.

Cherokee, the grounds are on side of the block and on the fender by the battery. Normally cleaning a sensor wont help. You can clean IAC for idle problems
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #74
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

Id like it as a sticky also.
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #75
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I'm working on a post to cover all the free easy stuff. Will take a few nights to get it all covered.

Cherokee, the grounds are on side of the block and on the fender by the battery. Normally cleaning a sensor wont help. You can clean IAC for idle problems
That's Great !!! Glad to see you are doing that, kudos to you, for putting in the time and effort to do it.
My ZJ ,has been starting and running fine since cleaning connections, and all my skin grew back from the wire wheel that jumped onto the back of my hand

[/QUOTE]

Tags
crank position sensor , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.