NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
What does that shield do anyway? Shield from what? The shift cable is the only thing close on mine.
I don't even know what Shield you guys are talking about.
I don't think mine has one.
Is it removable ?

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #47
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Bad news, the Jeep is messing with me.
Doing the same thing screwing up real bad, luckily made it home ended up coasting into my driveway.
It is dying out. While idling, dying well going down the road.
One time when I went to restart it. It cranked a little slow, but then popped off.
Another time, when it died, it spark knocked while it died.
When I was going down the road and it cut out, I slapped it in neutral and it was running like it was dieseling.
How many engine grounds is there ?
I'm thinking I should go clean the grounds.
But what else? Why is it so intermittent like this? It ran fine yesterday.
Could it be something with the new accel coil ?
. Any other ideas what to check or test ?

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

It appears that the shield routes the sensor wires away from the shift cable and/or keeps the shift cable from putting pressure on the sensor wires at the sensor. There's nothing else close.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #49
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Well I was just out there started up and died three times, now it's a no start.
Hooked up the spark checker to the coil, no, spark, tried it again, ran for 30 seconds shut off, then cranked and cranked and no, spark.
Does this sound like a bad connection?

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #50
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

himI played around with the small wire going to coil, it's running fine I have spark, it's not stalling.
The wire is taped up and part of it is very brittle.
I think I will replace the parts of that wire where it is taped and clean the connection, although I dida clean it when I replaced the coil
img_20120607_193401.jpg  

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #51
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah HD, believe I'd be cleaning all 3 of your engine ground connections, in addition to replacing the wire, if they look somewhat rusted like that one. I know when we both installed those higher voltage Accel coils you were able to do it with w/o taking the coil mounting plate off. I took mine off and it looked like there was a bunch of rust/corrosion on the back-side nut where it meets the block. Also believe your PCM ground is right under that that metal wire holder/clamp next to the motor mount. Interesting that cable clamp is on the ground stud next to the motor mount when mine is on the front ground stud so it keeps the wire somewhat away from the mount.

The 3rd engine ground is on the oil dipstick tube bracket which attaches it to the block. Again another double nut deal on a stud with the bracket clamped between.That one was covered with oil and didn't seem tight enough when I removed it before cleaned it off. Good luck.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #52
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the input Uni
Man that wire wheel takes skin off fast !
What a pain in the asss for couple of bolts, I had to grind down a wrench to fit in between the wires and the coil bracket.
I took all the tape off that small coil wire, and took apart the plug, and I couldn't see a thing wrong with that, it was just the tape that was brittle.
. Got all that crap cleaned up ,where coil bracket goes.
I had to come in and clean up my wound.
That metal clip that holds the wires was on the rear bolt, and there was two wires grounded to the front bolt.
Anyway, got to go put it back together, and go after the other grounds.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #53
1slammed87
1997 ZJ 

I had the same exact problem a few months ago, a friend said to replace the plug to the coil so i did and about two months later and still no stalling. I would have never thought. Make sure to solder and heat shrink them really well. Only problem is it still hesitates for a few seconds when i drive after starting it, but i think thats a different issue, good luck.
1slammed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #54
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

No problem HD and wasn't trying to get you to take the skin off your fingers. LOL, know it's not all that funny, but who doesn't have ZJ scars?? My favorite tool is needle nose vise-grips and I use with my bench grinder wire wheel all the time.

Here's some pretty good diagrams of the connectors/grounds. May not be exactly the same as yours/mine. I take that back about the PCM/ECU being grounded by the motor mount and it's grounded to the dipstick tube bracket.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...und_straps.htm
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #55
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

The bolt at the coil bracket were the two wires were hooked on was pretty rusty.
I took all the connections off the alternator in cleaned them.
I drove it 5 miles up and down my street,And let it idle quite a bit in between trips up and down the street, and no stalling no cutting out, but I still don't know if it's fixed.
I didn't do anything with the dipstick bracket because there is no wires hooked to it (see pic) , is there supposed to be??

The oil is from before I replaced the valve cover gasket.
img_20120608_020631.jpg  

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #56
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Interesting and this may be where there's a difference between the engine grounds on a 95 vs a 96 4.0. I definitely have a ground wire, maybe 2, on the oil dipstick tube bracket stud and one is supposed to be the PCM ground. It's hard to trace because it comes out of the large wiring harness.

I searched around and couldn't find any exact ground diagrams for a 95 4.0. You may want to check your FSM to see if they have any info on them.

It sure didn't hurt to clean your alternator contacts either. One of the small ones in the middle (may be green wire) is a direct feed to the PCM. The PCM and alternator communicate (send feedback) back & forth. The PCM will signal the alternator to kick on the internal field to keep the correct voltage flowing. So in other words the voltage regulator is in the PCM, at least that's the way my 96 works.

Yeah, my engine looked like that too from a leaking valve cover gasket. Also had to replace mine not too long ago. Believe I'd clean that engine oil off and then put some dielectric grease on the grounds to keep them from corroding/rusting again.

BTW, I zoomed your photo in and sure don't like the looks of that far right wire coming out of the back of the CKP harness plug. Is that wire almost completely crimped in two?
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #57
Berti
1996 ZJ 

Replace the battery. My and my friends car did exactly the same. New battery has solved it.
Berti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #58
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good.
I had a bit of running around to do today, I had to make a few stops.
The ZJ operated flawlessly, startups driving, no stalls, no glitches, no errors.
I probably should have cleaned up the connections, before messing with the crank sensor, because I know the importance of good connections from past experiences, but I didn't think it was that bad until I started taking it apart.
I had convinced myself it was the aftermarket crank sensor.
Uni I did use dialectic grease on all the connections when I put it back together.
The wire for crank sensor is okay, it's a little boot thing that won't stay on their, but I don't believe it is In any danger of getting moisture in there or anything.
Right now it's just a wait-and-see thing, I have to go back out today and do some more running around.
If that connection did not fix the problem,and I'm not convinced it is,cuz it fooled the before.
I think next step would be the PCM,I hope not

New picture with the boot where it belongs.
img_20120608_194900.jpg  

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

i am a little ashamed that I didn't mention clean all your connections from the begining .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #60
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
i am a little ashamed that I didn't mention clean all your connections from the begining .
Well you kinda did,in another thread when I was searching for stalling problems, I read, "I have seen so many cars fixed from cleaning the connections"
That may not be an exact quote, but it was you, and it stuck with me, and I know you have been on here a long time.
The thing is, I know enough to start with the basics, and that's what I usually do, I just got obsessed with that sensor. I guess.

Oh Ya, I forgot to mention , I also ran it through the car wash today.

[/QUOTE]

Tags
crank position sensor , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.