NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #31
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
My money is on the PCM if it's not the CPS or battery or grounds.
Start it and then wiggle the PCM connectors. If it dies or tries to die, that's what it is.....the PCM. You either fix it yourself by looking up the PCM rebuild thread on here or go to Oreilly's and get one. I strongly urge you NOT to buy one from any outfit located in Florida, however.
All together, I went over and wiggled the PCM connectors about 10 times, cuz the way it was acting, I figured it could be that, but it never mad a difference.
It still, could be the PCM, just hoping it isn't.
95s are less prone to PCM trouble

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #32
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

this thread makes my head hurt somewhat .

a paper gasket is not a spacer or a shim in my book .

If so, you better use an inch pound wrench very carefully .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Stick-on paper spacer attaches to the end of the sensor, nearest the flywheel. Maintains the proper clearance between the sensor and flywheel during installation, then it falls off. Otherwise there is risk of the sensor sitting on the flywheel and being ground away on first start.

My FSM mentions a paper spacer... but also shows a slotted hole.

The question is... is the spacer just a hold-over from when the crank sensor holes were slotted for adjustment?
Or are they also required for current sensors with round mounting holes?
Bet you're right on using a paper spacer on the end tip of a CKP is just a carry-over from when the hole was slotted for adjustment.

I called Chrysler/Jeep technical support and they offer no info prior to 2004 Jeep models. So I called the service manager at the local Jeep dealer who I know well. He said they don't install any paper spacers on any CKP's where the hole in the bell housing is round.

So I'll quit pushing the paper spacer use on CKP's and sorry for the misinformation I got from the parts guy. It should be noted there sure is a lot of misinformation on the web in requiring these spacers, even up to 99 ZJ's.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
I think I found the perfect thing for back probing the electrical plugs, they are called T pins, they are heavy-duty, got them from my sister, you can get them at the Fabric store.
Hey HD, if your talking about back probing the connectors/electrical plugs on your sensors believe I'd be checking the 5V power supply to them 1st by unplugging them and use the method in the below video. Think it's the 1st one.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...ideos-1357831/

But it may not be necessary and hope a new CKP fixes you up.

BTW, those type T-pins are a good idea and believe my wife has some in her sewing stuff.
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #35
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

FYI
This crank sensor does not have an elongated hole.
The lady at the dealer was aware of the spacers. When I asked, but they did not have any.
The nearest place that has the spacers is 40 miles round-trip, I don't really see any adjustability..
If they had them I would stick one on.
The lady said there was an old timer in the service department that religiously put the spacers on every job, but, like rooster51: says,
Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke. ,so I'm putting in on as is.
img_20120606_150009.jpg  

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I put in The crank sensor, started it up. It ran for about 1 min. and died, I said WTF, , started right back up.
I don't know why did that but, I drove it up and down my street a couple of times that's about 2 miles, then I took it for drive 10 miles, never screwed up once.
The last time I drove it. It screwed up five times in 3 miles.
Maybe the computer had to learn or something, but I don't think the computers in the 95 really learn much anyway.
If that wasn't the problem. I would think that would've screwed up during my 10 mile drive, because it was screwing up really bad before..
I think the hardest of part putting one of those in, is getting the bolt started With your fingers up in there, so you don't cross thread It.
So I really do think it is fixed.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I put in The crank sensor, started it up. It ran for about 1 min. and died, I said WTF, , started right back up.
I don't know why did that but, I drove it up and down my street a couple of times that's about 2 miles, then I took it for drive 10 miles, never screwed up once.
Maybe the computer had to learn or something, but I don't think the computers in the 95 really learn much anyway.
If that wasn't the problem. I would think that would've screwed up during my 10 mile drive, because it was screwing up really bad before..
I think the hardest of part putting one of those in, is getting the bolt started With your fingers up in there, so you don't cross thread It.
Where did you order your cps?
(Nosey, I know lol)

Mine had a duracrap cps put in there a month ago, and I'm having problems,too.
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgal2k12 View Post
Where did you order your cps?
(Nosey, I know lol)

Mine had a duracrap cps put in there a month ago, and I'm having problems,too.
. I was in a hurry, and I called the local dealership they didn't have any in stock so I had to order it and they had it the next day, it was $76.
You could do the same thing or order it online, here is just one place, http://www.factorymopar.com/index.ph...searchall=test
Just use keyword search at the factorymopar site, crank position sensor.

Or you could . E-mail or call: Kolak and he will hook you up.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #39
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Great HD, and hope it's fixed for good!
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #40
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Great HD, and hope it's fixed for good!
I'm pretty sure it is.
I had an errand to run and had it on the freeway to . Treated it kind of badly to trying to see if it would screw up, but . Woo hoo, it didn't, it's running great. Now
So to all you noobs, put in only Mopar crank position sensor, or you'll be sorry.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
. I was in a hurry, and I called the local dealership they didn't have any in stock so I had to order it and they had it the next day, it was $76.
You could do the same thing or order it online, here is just one place, http://www.factorymopar.com/index.ph...searchall=test
Just use keyword search at the factorymopar site, crank position sensor.

Or you could . E-mail or call: Kolak and he will hook you up.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Thanks!
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #42
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I have been wondering how did you end up getting it home from the Pizza joint ?

Did you get it to start and limp it home or have to tow it ?

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #43
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I have been wondering how did you end up getting it home from the Pizza joint ?

Did you get it to start and limp it home or have to tow it ?

Phit
Well I was messing around with it, trying different things, but I don't think anything I did made any difference, and then you know the Jeep thing it fixed itself, and started.
I quickly hopped in and Took off. Yeah I was sweating it.
I was only about a half a mile or so from home, it stammered a little pulling out of the pizza place, stalled out halfway down my street but started right back up.
The next day when I was messing around with it. It never had no start problems again, but it was stalling out a lot.
I didn't think that the crank sensor would cause a no start.
I'm glad it started ,cuz I wasn't too keen on walking home with a large pizza and a box of cinnamon sticks, but I sure wasn't gonna leave them there.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #44
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I was messing around with it, trying different things, but I don't think anything I did made any difference, and then you know the Jeep thing it fixed itself, and started.
I quickly hopped in and Took off. Yeah I was sweating it.
I was only about a half a mile or so from home, it stammered a little pulling out of the pizza place, stalled out halfway down my street but started right back up.
The next day when I was messing around with it. It never had no start problems again, but it was stalling out a lot.
I didn't think that the crank sensor would cause a no start.
I'm glad it started ,cuz I wasn't too keen on walking home with a large pizza and a box of cinnamon sticks, but I sure wasn't gonna leave them there.
Sounds familiar and reminds me when I was stuck with a stall/no start a couple months ago. Had the whole rear end full of recycles heading to the recycle center. Died in a town just S. of me at a couple different places where some nice people helped push me into parking lots. Had turned around and limping home. Topper was stuck at a green traffic light on a 60 mph highway which scared the crap out of me with people blowing by in the left lane. Was on the phone with my wife and she was on the way with the new scanner she picked up at Advance I had ordered the night before. Man, was I thankful to get home as I limped into the drive!

It sure is a shame a bad CKP is so hard to diagnose and mine never threw a code. I never would have thought the 2-year old Mopar CKP would have gone out so soon. But as mentioned before a bad PCM, bad engine grounds, a manifold leak, or even a leaking rear seal could have led to it's downfall. Also a real crappy design in having the metal CKP shield causing the wires to come out of the back of the sensor at a 90 degree angle.

Knowledgeable gal at the reman PCM place told me a bad PCM can kill a CKP or a bad CKP can kill a PCM. Don't know if that's true or not but since my PCM was under warranty I replaced it along with the CKP.

Well, at least your pizza or cinnamon sticks didn't go to waste!
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #45
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
... Also a real crappy design in having the metal CKP shield causing the wires to come out of the back of the sensor at a 90 degree angle...
What does that shield do anyway? Shield from what? The shift cable is the only thing close on mine.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crank position sensor , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.