NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I think you will find that is the problem .

I would be replacing it too.

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Bummer HD. My bet would be a bad crank sensor but just a guess. I couldn't even get 2 aftermarket ones to work at all. Finally went with the OEM Mopar CKP but it only lasted 2 years. Believe bad engine grounds, a bad PCM, or a manifold crack/leak caused it to die prematurely.

Look at the below thread and you'll see a CKP testing procedure link in my 1st post. Then once you go to the link look at the 3rd post in that thread and try the resistance test. Mine was all over the board but the 1st indication was it was bad. Also I've never tried looking at the gauges to see if some quit working but it reads this may be another indicator the CKP could be bad.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...tions-1368912/

Not sure if it will work for you, but after I installed a new Mopar CKP, along with the paper spacer (#5252220), my stall/no-start problems seemed to have disappeared. Knock on wood, and sure I installed a lot of other parts, but the CKP seemed to be the culprit. Good luck.

edit: Gee, you ordered a new CKP while I was searching for threads/typing! LOL.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Bummer HD. My bet would be a bad crank sensor but just a guess. I couldn't even get 2 aftermarket ones to work at all. Finally went with the OEM Mopar CKP but it only lasted 2 years. Believe bad engine grounds, a bad PCM, or a manifold crack/leak caused it to die prematurely.

Look at the below thread and you'll see a CKP testing procedure link in my 1st post. Then once you go to the link look at the 3rd post in that thread and try the resistance test. Mine was all over the board but the 1st indication was it was bad. Also I've never tried looking at the gauges to see if some quit working but it reads this may be another indicator the CKP could be bad.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...tions-1368912/

Not sure if it will work for you, but after I installed a new Mopar CKP, along with the paper spacer (#5252220), my stall/no-start problems seemed to have disappeared. Knock on wood, and sure I installed a lot of other parts, but the CKP seemed to be the culprit. Good luck.

edit: Gee, you ordered a new CKP while I was searching for threads/typing! LOL.
No I actually ordered it at 10 o'clock this morning before I did anything to Jeep, because I have heard that the standard products CKP had a lifespan of about six months, and it has been 5 1/2 months.
I was thinking about getting a Mopar anyway, anticipating that one failing..
Don't they come with a spacer on them ??

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
There's your problem. Only kidding.

Let us know if the CPS fixes the issue.
Yeah I think maybe it is, what can I say

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

I tried to save a few $$ last time with a non-OEM crank sensor. It never fired once, went back to OEM 56027280. No paper spacer provided, but the hole is not slotted, think my stock original sensor was slotted. The mounting bolt fits the 56027280 round hole fairly snug, so not sure a spacer is required. Anyone know for sure?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
...after I installed a new Mopar CKP, along with the paper spacer (#5252220), my stall/no-start problems seemed to have disappeared...
Was the hole in your crank sensor round or slotted?
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Where does the spacer in question go exactly ?
As long as I'm typing, if you disco the battery. Touch the cables together, it will clear codes, correct ?

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I think I found the perfect thing for back probing the electrical plugs, they are called T pins, they are heavy-duty, got them from my sister, you can get them at the Fabric store.
img_20120605_235136.jpg  

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Snap-on
1998 ZJ 

do not arc the cables that is a bad idea just unhook both cables from the batterie and turn the key about 3 times like try in to started to drain the capacitators
Snap-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
No I actually ordered it at 10 o'clock this morning before I did anything to Jeep, because I have heard that the standard products CKP had a lifespan of about six months, and it has been 5 1/2 months.
I was thinking about getting a Mopar anyway, anticipating that one failing..
Don't they come with a spacer on them ??
OK, know I'm slow but surely didn't think you had enough time to order parts while I was writing. LOL.

The Mopar CKP's used to come with a paper spacer but they don't anymore. The real knowledgeable parts guy I know at the dealer told me, "the green dot is attached to the end of the crank sensor for correct spacing from the flex plate ring teeth. If it doesn't come with one I'll order you one, since it's called for, and they're only 4 bucks.".

So when I picked up the new CKP a month ago I asked him where the paper spacer was since there wasn't one on the sensor end? He went out to his car, said he forgot it, and brought it in. Part #5252229 and have a feeling he ran across the street earlier and picked it up at the service department where they do use them when installing new CKP's.

It doesn't seem like there would be a way to space the CKP but I'm going by the way the dealer does it since my last one failed. Have a feeling the paper spacer was short lived once I started the engine. But hey, seems to have fixed the problem!

Here's a thread about the paper spacers. Good luck and believe I would buy one with your CKP if you can.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...ensor-1182229/
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-on View Post
do not arc the cables that is a bad idea just unhook both cables from the batterie and turn the key about 3 times like try in to started to drain the capacitators
Thanks no I would not arc them.
What is it with the three times thing, seems like it's always three times for whatever

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Stick-on paper spacer attaches to the end of the sensor, nearest the flywheel. Maintains the proper clearance between the sensor and flywheel during installation, then it falls off. Otherwise there is risk of the sensor sitting on the flywheel and being ground away on first start.

My FSM mentions a paper spacer... but also shows a slotted hole.

The question is... is the spacer just a hold-over from when the crank sensor holes were slotted for adjustment?
Or are they also required for current sensors with round mounting holes?
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Stick-on paper spacer attaches to the end of the sensor, nearest the flywheel. Maintains the proper clearance between the sensor and flywheel during installation, then it falls off. Otherwise there is risk of the sensor sitting on the flywheel and being ground away on first start.

My FSM mentions a paper spacer... but also shows a slotted hole.

The question is... is the spacer just a hold-over from when the crank sensor holes were slotted for adjustment?
Or are they also required for current sensors with round mounting holes?
I see now, like the spacers that ABS sensors come with.

But if the mounting hole is not elongated, there is no adjustment is there ?

[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #29
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
But if the mounting hole is not elongated, there is no adjustment is there ?
Would seem that way, unless the mounting bolt is not snug in the sensor hole.
My last OEM sensor was a snug fit on the bolt, didn't use a spacer, and it works fine.
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

My money is on the PCM if it's not the CPS or battery or grounds.
Start it and then wiggle the PCM connectors. If it dies or tries to die, that's what it is.....the PCM. You either fix it yourself by looking up the PCM rebuild thread on here or go to Oreilly's and get one. I strongly urge you NOT to buy one from any outfit located in Florida, however.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crank position sensor , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.