JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/no-start-started-now-its-dying-while-ideling-1377556/)

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 01:04 PM

NO, start,started, now it's dying. While Ideling

Last week it just shut off. Once while idling, started right back up, day before yesterday did the same thing 3 times.
Yesterday, it failed to start, it cranked fine, I tried a few different things to try and get it started and it finely started , but I think I just got lucky.
On the way home It shut off once going about 30.
Once I got home, I was out messing with it, and it kept Shutting down while idling,, as long as I kept my foot on the gas a little it would stay running.
I came back in for a little while, went back out and it stayed running for more than 10 min. idling.
One time, I revved it up . When I let off the gas it spark knocked and died.
But now when I put it in gear it drops down 2 or 300 RPM, and it never did that before.
I don't know what's up ???

Cleaned IAC,and throttle body couple months ago

Relevant, New parts recently
Plugs, wires cap,rotor,coil
NTK o2
Before I knew any better,5 months ago-
-a Standard products crank sensor.

Any Ideas ??

Link To Other Thread Setting here at the pizza place and no start

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 04:53 PM

Picked up a gauge, going out to do a fuel press test.
I don't how it is supposed to act but, I unplugged the IAC ,idle went up to 1000 and ran fine
Any one got ideas, what else to check ??

edpmedic 06-05-2012 05:00 PM

Clean the ICS and clean the throttle body. No codes from the check engine light?

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 05:03 PM

i'm getting code 23 - Charge Air Temperature Sensor Voltage Too High Or Low (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Would I get this if I unplugged the Air Temperature Sensor with key on, or engine running ?? Cuz I did
Fuel press. should be 39 psi right??
I don't think I know what the ICS is

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 05:53 PM

Checked, Fuel press and it is, 38 psi key on, 42 idling
going to pull off throttle body clean it and IAC

Sorry I got two threads for same thing, but I had a reason

JasonStebbins 06-05-2012 06:20 PM

Failing alternator? If it's not charging the battery enough it would cause the stalling issues and no-start issues. You said when you stay on the gas it runs for a little while, the alternator could be barely working and on it's way out.

Just throwing the idea out there.

Hawkeye01 06-05-2012 07:32 PM

I had a problem very similar to yours and it turn out to be the battery. The battery was about 6 years old and when I replaced it with a new battery the problem went away.

Wimmer 06-05-2012 07:37 PM

Does it only stall when it is warm if it does it could be the throttle position sensor

Snap-on 06-05-2012 07:40 PM

if you have a multi-meter check the alternator like stated above your fuel pressure is with in specs i would check the tps and map sensor next, and yes un plugin electrical connectors can cause codes

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 09:11 PM

Well, it's not just stalling when it's idling, it's just shutting off randomly, I took it for drive after, I pulled off the throttle body cleaned it and the IAC.

Twice I thought it died, put it in neutral revved it up a little it was still running,it shut down going 45, it started right back up, shut off at the light idling, started right back up.

It also shut down after idling for 3 or 4 min. when I first started it up. After working on it.

Battery is new five months ago, 875 cranking amps.

Had the alternator tested about three weeks ago, I have the print out,everything tested good,charging system test, loaded 13.850.

Check battery voltage today, 12.52, engine off, 13.85 engine running.
him
Tested throttle position sensor,closed the reading was 7.35, WOT the reading was 3.916.

The FSM says, with throttle plate closed it should be greater than 200 millivolts, at WOT output voltage must be less than 4.8 V.

according to that test the TPS is bad.

All that said, because of the fact that it is shutting off randomly, and stumbled a couple of times, I am thinking standard products, crank sensor that is in there, but I don't really know, so I'm looking for ideas.

JasonStebbins 06-05-2012 09:18 PM

When my TPS went bad it sputtered/hesitated/died down a lot but never stalled out or caused starting problems. I would start with a different brand CPS and go from there.

phitmein 06-05-2012 09:25 PM

I wondered whether it was the Crank sensor too when I read your Pizza thread last night.

Is standard products a brand name ?

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonStebbins (Post 13678221)
When my TPS went bad it sputtered/hesitated/died down a lot but never stalled out or caused starting problems. I would start with a different brand CPS and go from there.

Well I had a feeling I should replace that CPS anyway, so I ordered one this morning from the dealer, $79. It will be here in the morning, so we shall see.
The thing that bothers me is the no start crap yesterday, that had me stuck at the pizza place, I was only a half mile from home, and I wasn't going to go hungry, and I did not wait for that pizza to get cold before tearing into it.:laugh:

One guy at the pizza joint was helping me, he was quite knowledgeable on jeeps, He said is dad Has owned jeeps all his life, and he had his dad on the phone to, he also had flashlight and I did not,but I did have a crap load tools back in the back.

hdrocknroll 06-05-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phitmein (Post 13678272)
I wondered whether it was the Crank sensor too when I read your Pizza thread last night.

Is standard products a brand name ?

yes it is, got it from rock auto, but I didn't know any better :D
Crankshaft Position Sensor
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PC42T T-Series
1 Bolt Mount
$36.79

JasonStebbins 06-05-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdrocknroll (Post 13678375)
$36.79

There's your problem. :thumbsup: Only kidding.

Let us know if the CPS fixes the issue.

The time now is 05:51 AM.