No start(maybe alarm related) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No start(maybe alarm related)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No start(maybe alarm related)

A little background.

My 96 limited has been sitting for about a month with the battery disconnected. I was in the middle of replacing the rear main seal/oil pump and my intake and exhaust manifolds but my hectic work/drinking schedule got in the way and I just got everything finished up last night. I reconnected the battery after letting it charge for a few hours, turned the key and nothing happened. All of my lights came on, cd player worked, but when I turned the key from acc to start there was no crank and the cd player shut off. The alarm has acted up on me a few times, so I found the purple/yellow wire and bypassed the alarm. Still not starting. Anyone have any clue?

1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- 3.5" RE. 4.10 gears
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Its not alarm related. If it was it would crank just not start. Check the starter, check all wiring, check over all your work. Make sure you put the starter wiring back in properly. Did you drop the starter or anything while it was out?
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

did you put the starter back in?

What jeepfreak said, it would crank and shut off+ the alarm light would be on in the dash if that was the problem.

Sounds like a wire/connection or a short in the starter.
Squatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Is it all the way in Park ? I've had issues with my neutral switch long time ago , and sounds like the same thing .If i'm remembering my Zj right i think they start in Neutral too you could try that . You could have disturbed or disconnected it when doing the rear main seal . If it's your starter , you should at least hear your starter solenoid kicking in , that has to be picked up before the starter gets crank voltage .
Good luck
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Yea good thinking. Try starting it in neutral.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dumb mistake on my part, really dirty starter connections. Got another question now though. I've replaced oil pumps on my previous 2 zj's and never had to prime them. Just started the jeep and I've got no oil pressure. Anyone know how to prime the oil pump?
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

you will have to pull out the distributor and either buy or make a little attachment to go in a drill that will engage the oil pump shaft, then spin your oil pump till you get oil pressure. I believe your key will have to be on to read the guage btw.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

That or un plug the coil and crank it let it prime itself.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

also, just to let everyone know, with most starters i have seen go out, the solenoids didn't make any noise, that usually means a dead battery.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Nah most do click they just dont crank the starter. Thats more common than no sound at all.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

just stating my experience, I have more solenoid problems than the actual starter going out
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help guys. I just unplugged the coil, cranked it a bit and the pressure came right up. Now I just have to finish the steering up and the zj is back to the trails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.