no spark to spark plugs??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no spark to spark plugs???

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
jeepgcnp

no spark to spark plugs???

Hey,

Yesterday i started my 93 jeep granc cherokee and it turned over fine, 2 seconds later it died in the same way as if you had pulled the choke on a lawnmower. i checked the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, distrubutor cap, and coil and they all check out ok. i have heard that there is an ignition module in the distributor that will stop the distributor from sparking. Any suggestions as to why i am not getting spark?

thanks

jeepgcnp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Turbonut

Engine 5.2 V-8 or the 4.0 6 cyl?
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Well it can be several things. Two of the most common things are: no spark from the coil & low or no fuel pressure. To check for spark at the plugs. You have to pull the one of the plug wires and hold it ½” away from the engine block which is ground. You may want to use insulated pliers to hold the wire if the wires are old, to avoid being zapped. This is best observed at night. If you do not get arcing while cranking the engine then I would check the Crank & Cam shaft sensors. Also the cap and rotor might be frigged and maybe the coil is bad. You have to keep working backwards until you find juice. A Haynes manual is necessary for testing the sensors.

If you do see spark, then I assume it’s the fuel pump or a clogged gas filter. The pump is located inside of the gas tank. You can measure the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It should be around 30 to 40 psig. Simply pushing the fuel rail valve, to check for pressure, may not be good enough, but if nothing squirts out then you now know.

Another scenario is that the PCM is not grounding the ADS relay, which powers the fuel pump relay.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
gregmondro

are you getting spark to the distributor at all? If you already checked the coil and everything, i'd say CPS. I'm assuming you have a 4.0l.

here's instructions for finding and replacing it...
http://fivezerofive.com/cgi-bin/weba...iewnews&id=269
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
miles28
1997 ZJ 

Don't think that link works correctly
miles28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.