Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

no second gear

594 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ryanlawhon 
#1 ·
my trans shifts fine through all gears except second when it does go into second it acts like it is in nuetral it revs and everything but acting like its not engaged. if i down shift it manually to second as if im trying to use the gears to slow down it just drops the rpms as if its just idleing this is in a 97 grand with the 5.2 i thought it might be the 2-3 shift silanoid but 3rd gear is working fine, but then again i have never had a tranny apart only helped a couple friends pull and install trannys. any body else have this problem ive done a few searches and found people with tranny problems but not the problem im having. thanks for the help

#3 ·
do you by any chance or does anyone have pictures of the band i need to adjust ive never had a trans apart before but considering i was able to do a 242 swap on my grand and i had to do the front case swap i know i can do it just need to know what exactly to look for and how many turns out the adjuster nut needs to be turned ive looked it up a few time before but diffrent sites say diffrent things do any of you know for sure? also if i make it a half turn tighter or looser can it change the firmness of the shift in a positive way or do i need to get a trans shift kit? if needed i can post a video of the jeep to show whats going on

#4 ·
The factory manual is the only specification you should follow.

And please fill in your jeep profile information.

The front band is on the front drum, it adjusts from the outside above and just forward of the shift lever.
Get a factory manual.
You must drop the pan to verify nothing is broken and you need a good look at the servo piston for it too.
You'll need an inch pound torque wrench for the adjustment.

#5 ·
No 2nd gear

I had the same problem with my 95 zj and some how the front band came loose ..the adjusting nut came loose and the band got loose and i had no 2 gear.i pulled the pan and adjusted the rear band when i adjusted the front one which is located above the trans lines on driver side.my trans now shifts good and i have put about 10 k on it since with no problems..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.