No Reverse - Tranny Fluid Was Low... 1998 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No Reverse - Tranny Fluid Was Low... 1998 Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Ramblin Randy

No Reverse - Tranny Fluid Was Low... 1998 Grand Cherokee

Howdy neighbors... first time here... love my Jeep.

Anyway my 98 Grand 6cyl automatic ran a little low on tranny fluid. It works fine in all forward gears. It just suddenly stopped going backwards when in reverse. Being two quarts low I'm sure will haunt me... need to keep an eye on that small fluid leak.

More info... when placed into reverse I can hear the drive shaft to the rear wheels ingage, there is a slight bit of movement and then nothinging happens. I filled it up with tranny fluid, left it sit for over a day, and the jeep moved a wee bit better in reverse for a few seconds. Attemping this again immediately I was back to where I started with but a hint of movement.

Is this a filter issue ? Since purchase of this well maintained Jeep I have not done a tranny tune up and plan on fluid change this week if that is recommmended. Jeep just turned 200,000 miles, mostly highway, zero offroad.

Thanks in advance,
Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Randy, what are you doing when you check the fluid level?

In these GC's you've got to get the tranny good and warm (drive about 15 miles) and check it with the engine running and the transmission in neutral.

If you are going to do a service on the tranny filter, make sure you grab a Haynes and adjust the transmission bands while you are in there. There's one adjustment inside the pan and the other is outside and a pain to get to.
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Ramblin Randy

Thanks for the quick response...

I'm an entreprenure and sometimes the "worry" factor blocks out real brain waves and we do stupid things like forgetting to check the fluid while in neutral. That's all water over the damn.

Will a new filter and new fluid fix things ? My pal is a GM Mechanic and should be albelto help me with the adjustment process.

What about getting all the old tranny fluid (nice and red) out of the torque converter and nooks and crannies.... better to get a professional to do this. I will note that I followed the manual and used decron/mercron, and I want to do the right thing and get some ATF4 in there as most folks suggest.

Ramblin Randy
1998 Jeep
1965 AMC Rambler Wagon
1966 Ford C700 Car Hauler
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Don't worry about doing a flush, and at your mileage it wouldn't be wise to flush it.

Just drop the pan and get out the six quarts or so that will come out that way, adjust the bands, replace the filter, install the pan, refill with ATF +4. Don't use anything else in it.
Unread 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Ramblin Randy

Ok I've got a online manual (from my local library) that has good adjustment instructions. Do I need any special tools other than a torque wrench ?

Thanks again Woody for the quick response.

Ramblin Randy
Unread 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Torx bit T-20 I believe for the filter, and made sure you've got the proper socket for the band adjustment that is outside the pan. It's kidof a werid one, I believe I used a 15/64's on it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.