no power steering assist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no power steering assist

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
dhirocz
1996 ZJ 

no power steering assist

Hi all. Been lurking for a long time. Decided it's time to post.

My '96 ZJ decided it was tired of giving me power steering assist. Last week after parking I heard a pop and found the power steering pump shaft pushed about 1" out of the pump...ate the belt up somewhat but the pump wasn't noisy and I managed to drive it home without power assist. That was fun.

So fast forward to this weekend, I put in a reman pump(I know), with the EVO installed on it. I took the time to bleed it, front end unloaded, engine off, then running. Got all the air out. No dice. I still have NO assist. None at all. I did verify the pump is making pressure and is working.

Considering the pump is working but I still have no assist at all, I'm assuming there might be a problem with the steering box/spool valve. Anybody have a quick doagnosis on this one before I spend the cash? I'm going to be letting her go soon and looking into upgrading into a 5.9, so I'm looking at getting it back up and going before letting it go. If it matters, it has 258k miles on it on the stock steering box.

dhirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Try checking the high pressure hose, bet its kinked or internally collapsed and the back pressure is what damaged the original pump to begin with.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
dhirocz
1996 ZJ 

Just figured I would throw this out here. Turns out my box had the spool valve blow a seal.

I also have some F body stuff lying around the house. Actually, I just finished parting one not too long ago, as I am in the process of restoring one at the moment that's down for paint, and stumbled on to this by accident when I set them down next to each other. The cases are dimensionally identical.

Turns out the third generation Fbody box is an upgrade to the Jeep. Used the Jeep's pitman arm and away I went. Funny, my Camaro has a Jeep steering shaft in it which should have been a sign. These Saginaw boxes have been used as far back as the early 60's. It reduced my steering down to 2 1/2 lock to lock from 3 1/2 and restored my power steering. Direct bolt in. It's quiet and works and I'm happy

This also means that S10 manual boxes and aftermarket Saginaw trick boxes for those applications should also fit. Enjoy.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirocz View Post
Just figured I would throw this out here. Turns out my box had the spool valve blow a seal.

I also have some F body stuff lying around the house. Actually, I just finished parting one not too long ago, as I am in the process of restoring one at the moment that's down for paint, and stumbled on to this by accident when I set them down next to each other. The cases are dimensionally identical.

Turns out the third generation Fbody box is an upgrade to the Jeep. Used the Jeep's pitman arm and away I went. Funny, my Camaro has a Jeep steering shaft in it which should have been a sign. These Saginaw boxes have been used as far back as the early 60's. It reduced my steering down to 2 1/2 lock to lock from 3 1/2 and restored my power steering. Direct bolt in. It's quiet and works and I'm happy

This also means that S10 manual boxes and aftermarket Saginaw trick boxes for those applications should also fit. Enjoy.
Glad ya fixed your issue!!!!!.

Its rare to have an o-ring break on the spool valve as it only has the motion the torsion bar allows from the stub shaft in the valve body.

2 1/2 turns is 12:7:1 ratio, what the jeep came from the factory with so ya basically restored the original function of the jeep by putting that old box in!!!.
Them Saginaw power steering gears have been used for decades in a multitude of cars and trucks of many brands!, most interchangeable!!!
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The popular upgrade is to install a box out of a '99 Durango. The piston is 1/2" larger providing more turning power.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
dhirocz
1996 ZJ 

I'm just glad to know how interchangeable they are. Odd, the box that came out was a 14:1 box. This is a 12.7:1 box that I put in. Maybe it was changed in the past? Might be that '96 only thing with the EVO power steering pump, which I am going to look into deleting next.

I'm also rather surprised that POS steering box bracket wasn't in like 10 pieces.
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Ya it obviously was changed out for a 14:1 ratio box at some point in its life.........

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.