No power steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No power steering

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
jblinga
1997 WJ 

No power steering

97 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Laredo

Hi all, new to the forum. I have done some searching but I can't seem to diagnose/fix this issue.

Turn of events:

Replaced steering box to eliminate play and rule out a possible contributor to death wobble. Flushed system.

Upon initial restart, power steering worked for 5 minutes then stopped working. Bled the system by having front axle off the ground, engine off and turn just short of lock to lock for 40+ times.

No change, power steering completely gone.

Made sure high pressure line and return line are clear and free of obstructions. Also checked the flow from the pump and from the steering box. Bled system.

No change

Warrantied remanufactured O'Reilly steering box, bled system another 40+ times.

No change

Replaced power steering pump w/O'Reilly reman, bled system.

No change

What else am I missing?

Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

I want this thing out of my garage!!!

Haha

TIA

Last edited by jblinga; 08-20-2013 at 05:32 AM..
jblinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

try putting it on the ground and go stop to stop 20 times, holding it at the stops for a few seconds
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
shaban
1996 ZJ 

After initially filling the system, have you checked the level? It should've dropped and a lot of bubbles will appear in the steering pump reservoir.
Wait until the bubbles disappear (10 mins), start it for 1 minute, turn your steering stop-to-stop, check for bubbles and top up the fluid. Again, wait for some time, if there are any bubbles until they all go away.

I had to do that about 3 times.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
jblinga
1997 WJ 

Fluid level has always been close to full during all the things I've tried thus far.

Again, the power steering has been completely gone after the initial restart. No progress has been made after all the trouble shooting/bleeding.
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
jblinga
1997 WJ 

Bumpage

Please help
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

You have your clue right there with the fluid level constantly being close to full in the reservoir.
Replace your high pressure line!!!.
Its most likely internally collapsing under pressure, if you have fluid flow you will lower the level of the reservoir as the air pockets in the system get pushed to the top as you turn the steering lock to lock.
Since your saying the reservoir is always close the top your not getting any or very little fluid flow.
Smokey1r is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
jblinga
1997 WJ 

Fluid has always been close to the full when hot mark, not close to the top of the reservoir. Fluid rises and falls substantially when bleeding. Air bubbles visible when bled
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Just had a thought, could have something to do with that solenoid on the pump? The speed-proportional steering one. Have you got it connected? Maybe try disconnecting it.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
jblinga
1997 WJ 

Doesn't have speed proportional pump
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Just a thought i had, listen to the power steering pump, when you start up do you hear it laboring like when you would turn and hold the steering all the way to lock even though its in the center or anywhere in between but not at wheel lock?.

Another thought, pull the high pressure line off of the steering gear and check the one way valve on the steering gear, just poke it with a screwdriver and see if it has spring tension and returns to a closed position, also check that your O-ring isn't off the fitting on the hose and blocking the fluid flow.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
jblinga
1997 WJ 

Update:

I had o'reilly warranty me another power steering pump, bled system for over an hour. Air bubbles the whole time.

Fired it up and voila! Power steering is finally back.

I am still bleeding air out now.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Excellent!!!! glad you got it fixed!!! lets hope this pump last you the life of the jeep!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.