no power locks on drivers and rear drivers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no power locks on drivers and rear drivers.

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

no power locks on drivers and rear drivers.

Ok so I have replaced the actuators on the drivers and rear drivers side doors as well as the wiring harnesses and i still have no power locks before I start seriously digging in is there somewhere I should look I know everything worked when I took it out of the 93 but no workie in my 94? Kinda frustrating cause i spent half the day striping the 93 too not to mention the work on my 94 lol.

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Do the passenger side power locks work? How about the lift gate?

I ask because the passenger door module provides power to both rear locks and the lift gate. The drivers door module only provides power to the drivers door lock.

Only drivers front and drivers rear seems like an odd combination to be broke.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
Do the passenger side power locks work? How about the lift gate?

I ask because the passenger door module provides power to both rear locks and the lift gate. The drivers door module only provides power to the drivers door lock.

Only drivers front and drivers rear seems like an odd combination to be broke.
I agree to this. If the trunk does not work then you might want to check the fuses or breakers first. If the fuse is good then check the lock modules.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Where is the lock module yes passenger side plus hatch works. And im 90% sure it all worked before I swapped it in
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

is it the red box to the left of the steering wheel under the dash?
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

The passenger door module is in the passenger front door.

What wire harness did you replace? How far into the body of the car did harnesses go? Did they stop at the connector that is just inside the door?

Did your driver's side power locks work at any point? Do the windows work?

I don't have my wiring diagrams with me, but I think that if your driver's window works that you have power to the driver's door module, which in turn means that the power is available for the driver's power lock as well.

Might be your actuators...
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Like i said I know for a fact that the actuators worked in the parts jeep i saw them work, yes I have power windows still just no locks. I replaced both harnesses on the drivers side doors both were connected just inside the pillars. No my power locks never worked at any time, I just assumed it was the actuators and after i replaced them with working ones and swaped the harnesses I was like WTF.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I cannot find anything on a power door lock module is there such a thing? I did notice that just below the lock and window switches is two harness connected together the best way i can explain it is by looking at the lom at the rear no vic and the two are connected together its like that on the drivers side and passenger side, however the drivers got swapped over to a 93 and its not there on the drivers side anymore however the problem still existed before i swapped the drivers side harness.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

As far as I know, there is not a power door lock module. I am referring to the passenger door module or the driver door module which control both the windows and locks.

I am no electrician, but it looks like the modules get power into a single pin and distribute it to locks and windows via the switches. This is why I was asking about your windows working.

Do your actuators make any noise when you press the switch? When you replaced the wire harness, I assume that you did not change the door module. Possibly the module itself or a short between the connector at the pillar and the bcm (below and to the left of the steering wheel).

The back door would be a little less complicated since it does not have a module of its own. Its power should be coming from the front passenger door. Possibly an open circuit or a short between the connector just inside the pillar and the passenger door module.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
As far as I know, there is not a power door lock module. I am referring to the passenger door module or the driver door module which control both the windows and locks.

I am no electrician, but it looks like the modules get power into a single pin and distribute it to locks and windows via the switches. This is why I was asking about your windows working.

Do your actuators make any noise when you press the switch? When you replaced the wire harness, I assume that you did not change the door module. Possibly the module itself or a short between the connector at the pillar and the bcm (below and to the left of the steering wheel).

The back door would be a little less complicated since it does not have a module of its own. Its power should be coming from the front passenger door. Possibly an open circuit or a short between the connector just inside the pillar and the passenger door module.
Pre 96 did not have a BCM.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

No the actuators make no noise at all. So where is the door module located then cause its obviously not in the drivers side door or the passenger side.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

The door modules are located on the inside of their respective door panels and connected via a 12 pin connector. However since your windows work, it would be safe to assume the your modules are getting power.

Your switch might be broke, but the FSM does not give any diagnostic procedures to check it.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
noodles5124

Check for broken wire in the door jams, that's what happened to be my window problem
noodles5124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

I just noticed that you have a 1994 ZJ...I am not sure if this stuff applies to yours.
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles5124 View Post
Check for broken wire in the door jams, that's what happened to be my window problem
Like I said I replaced the harnesses on that side, drivers and rear drivers.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.