no power to blower resistor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no power to blower resistor

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
mda

no power to blower resistor

i had the standard melt down in my 2003 grand cherokee, replaced the resitor (wiggled the conection one too may times and fried the corner of the board) but now i have no power coming in. though i may have blown a fuse in the process but they all check out fine. is there an in line that i'm missing some place??

ps it's getting hot out there grrrrrr

mda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
mda

shameless self
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Moved to the correct forum.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

You replaced the resistor, but did you check the connection in the plug? That fried too on mine and the wires had to be spliced into the new resistor.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
mda

thanks for the mve to the right place

yes i spliced in a new plug but i no longer have any juice to the red lead coming into the resitor, it was hot whin i started but i may have shorted it out blowing a fuse. i checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. all checked out fine with a meter.

i was wondering if there was an inline fuse somewhere, as the owners maual dosn't even list it in the fuse "boxes"

a wiring diagram might help if anybdy knows where ther is one on line.
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I don't know if this will help at all:
Quote:
Other blower motor diagnostics

1. Blower motor power feed circuit fuse may be blown.

2. COLD ENGINE LOCK OUT FEATURE: Some models with auto temp control (ATC) incorporate a feature involving the body control module that prevents blower motor operation when engine coolant temp is below approx (98F) degrees. This feature is cancelled if manual blower motor fan speed is selected.

3. CIRCUIT WIRING AND CONNECTORS: Check all related circuit wiring / connectors / power feed and ground connections. Check for poor pin connections and chafed wiring harness (rub through) causing short to power or ground. Check blower motor control switch (fan switch) operation. Check blower motor relay.

4. INSTRUMENT PANEL SIDE BOLTS: Some models use the large bolts at each end of the instrument / dash panel to provide ground path to the chassis. Check for secure and clean connection at instrument panel side bolts.

5. POWER MODULE: Some models equipped with auto temp control (ATC) use a power module to engage the blower motor relay. Check ATC power module operation. Replace ATC power module as required. IMPORTANT Verify correct wiring harness and resistor card is used for proper blower motor operation.

6. IGNITION SWITCH: Some models use the ignition switch to engage the blower motor relay. Defective ignition switch may allow the blower motor to operate with the ignition off. Check ignition switch operation and related circuit wiring to blower motor relay.

7. BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR: Some models use a blower motor circuit resistor which will disengage power feed to the blower motor if high circuit load is detected. Blown resistor may indicate interference or drag is being placed on the blower motor fan or the blower motor has an internal problem. Blower motor may operate on one speed only if resistor is blown on some models. Suggest blower motor amperage draw test. Amp draw should be approx (13-17) amp when blower is operating on high mode. Check all related circuit wiring and replace blower motor if higher than normal amperage draw is detected.

8. BLOWER MOTOR FAN: Check blower motor fan (squirrel cage) for debris or damage. Verify fan is secure to blower motor shaft.

9. BLOWER MOTOR: Check blower motor operation manually with jumper test wires to power source and ground. Replace blower motor if internal problem is suspected.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
mda

took it by the stealership today, hidden fusable link blown
Unread 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda
took it by the stealership today, hidden fusable link blown
They didn't say where that fusible link was located did they?
...and thanks for updating this page.
Unread 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
mda

nope, and they told me they couldn't show me a wiring diagram (i wanted to see if there was a fusable link shown) all i can say is to disconect the batery before cutting the wire, it's hot all the time, even with the key off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.