No power to after market head unit--New Jeep (My 1st) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No power to after market head unit--New Jeep (My 1st)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

No power to after market head unit--New Jeep (My 1st)

Hello,

My name is Dustin-23yr old FT college student PT employee just bought a ZJ and it came radioless as well as plugless.

I bought the stock plug off a guy who was scrapping his old ZJ and wired it up in mine--no problem color to color-

attached the wiring harness adapter for an aftermarket head unit- color to color- with the illuminating and dimmer wires unconnected(unsure where to put them)

Issue currently is no power to the unit. When I first bought it I tried hard wiring the unit to the clipped wiring and got power and sound in the front two speakers. After a few minutes the HU went into protect mode(assuming something shorted/crossed) and I unplugged it. Tried a few other wiring schemes and nothing.

With the adapter harness I'm not able to get the unit to power on, I can make it flash on by crossing the 12V power and the Ignition from the deck and the car together but will not stay on. I figured out through a little research Ive got an amp underneath my rear passenger seat (alcatel brand I believe) and I had a similar issue with a bmw 328i I owned previously.

I've heard a few people say to just run your own wire but also seen that the amp speaker wires can be connected to each other. (this was suggested to people who were able to get their radio's on but didn't have sound)

I apologize for the length but wanted to be thorough. Thank you for taking the time to look over this and I appreciate any suggestions or experience!

dorrmann27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

If you are hooking up an aftermarket headunit(HU) to the factory wiring harness, the wire's color codes do NOT match up more often than not(3 for 3 HU in my case). As to the amp, it's all fairly plug n play unless you have a dead amp. Are you sure the amp is being turned on? it will be the (if yours is equiped with it, iirc, it's optional in '93)power antenna wire that is also the amp REM wire. Many don't catch that bit the first time with the jeeps. The diagram can be found here I'm not sure as to the specific sub-brand of the amp but it should all be an infinity system

edit: Welcome to JF! Congrats on your first Jeep purchase! May you have many blessings with it =]
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

Last edited by dorrmann27; 12-24-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

Edit: After even further investigation, Its an in-car cell phone. Not an AMP. xD

No power to my head unit and no infinity system, Any ideas as to what I should try? The harness came with plug n plays wires are either labeled or have a diagram and is color to color except for the illum. and Dimm.

Last edited by dorrmann27; 12-24-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Did you plug in the antenna?
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

You didn't mention it, but have you checked your fuses? Also, have you checked (with a volt meter) if you are actually getting any or enough power to the head unit? It's also possible that when you first hooked the radio up you may may have fried the head unit.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

image-2562952405.jpg

Try this
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

Okay tried wiring it that way but only got power when I connected both pink (red) and yellow's.. That is how I acquired power before but after a period of time the head unit goes into protect mode(doesn't play music:[)

With all four connected(yellow, pink, yellow, pink) head unit is also getting continuous power and doesn't turn off with ignition. I had the same issue with the unit in a bmw before I sold it.

The unit will power up now and play music for a short period of time but eventually will do the above^
img_20131225_120831_052-2-.jpg   img_20131225_121904_985-3-.jpg  

Last edited by dorrmann27; 12-25-2013 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Added Photos
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

And I have to ask again. Did you connect the antenna? Most stereos use the antenna as a ground. If it's not connected, the stereo detects a faulty ground and will shut down or not turn on at all.
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Do you have a volt meter? Check which wires have power.
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

When i put in a new sony xplod headunit in mine.
There was 4 wires that had to be conected in a special way to make it work.

The wires are red and yellow from the headunit and from the existing wiring

The first option is for Switched power supply, then the red wire goes to the other red and the yellow goes to yellow.
The second option is for Continuous power supply, then the red wire goes to yellow and the yellow goes to the red.
The third option is for cars without ACC position, then both the red and yellow from the headunit goes to the yellow that comes from the car.

Only thing is i dont remember wich one worked on my ZJ but one did nothing and one of them freaked out the ac panel.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Wow what a mess. Try looking on here for wiring help http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...ndCherokee.asp
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

Apologies Pug I did have the antenna plugged in, it also has a ground to the car though.

Trying the wiring that was suggested, i'll post update within the hour.

I do have the ACC switch. I rewired, got power, tried turning off removing plug from head unit to tape up wires then no power ! :<

Not sure what the deal is but If not solved tomorrow I'm cutting it all and hard wiring with all the information you guys have provided should be no problem. Still open to any suggestions! THank you guys for the help

Last edited by dorrmann27; 12-25-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Couple of more questions. What type of HU is it? Did you order the plug and play harness with it? If it's a plug and play, why do you have the pink wire going to the yellow and the red to the other yellow?

Also, I think you have the wrong blue wire hooked up. I believe the blue wire with the white stripe should be hooked up to the solid blue wire.
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
dorrmann27
1993 ZJ 

Kenwood KDC BT head unit, the pink to yellow was just one set that gave it power for a little bit but after disconnect did not work, left it alone for a couple hours returned and wired all yellow and pink together and got power, disconnected and bam no power again. Does not get power with pink to pink and yellow to yellow; all four (atleast from what i've tried) have to be connected in order to get power, sometimes*. :/

And yes I bought the wiring harness(plug and play)

Ill try switching up the blue wire and go back to pink/pink yellow/yellow

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.