no overdrive and more - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no overdrive and more

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

no overdrive and more

so this is a new one. i have a 1997 zj with the 5.2l and everything works fine except it wont shift into overdrive. but then i started playing with buttons and found that if im pressing the gas and turn the rear defrost on then off the doors will lock it will also lock the doors if i turn the rear defrost on then off and press the throttle after. any idea what this could be?

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Wow, very interesting. Will be following this one.
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the od off button and rear defrost are on the same panel. i'd check it for corrosion and bad soldering.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Does your rear defogger work? Does the panel light toggle ON/OFF while toggling the switch?

If not, is your rear defogger switch possibly wired into an aftermarket alarm?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
deadthugg
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a zj lol
deadthugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

well it did it that night and the next morning but later that day it has gone back to normal and hasnt done it again. hopefully it stays like this haha
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

One morning my wipers wouldn't work. I messed with the switch and the horn started to honk and the wipers came on but wouldn't turn off. I tried to turn off the engine but it didn't stop when I pulled the key. I opened the door, the horn stopped and the engine died but the wipers kept going even with the key off. I got back in and shut the door and the wipers turned off. Tried to restart it and everything was fine except the wipers only worked on the highest speed. Put in a new wiper module and haven't had any other issues.

Not saying your wiper module has anything to do with your problem but apparently there are weird interactions behind the dash on a ZJ.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.