No key, but blinks, flicks and won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No key, but blinks, flicks and won't start

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 05-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
geologymule

No key, but blinks, flicks and won't start

I pulled in today and turned the jeep off and took my key out. All of a sudden the fuses start clicking and all the lights start flashing. I disconnected the battery and it stops, but I plug the battery back in and it keeps on doing it. Clicking and flashing clicking and flashing........anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Am I looking at a fuse problem or a computer problem??

Thanks
Josh

BTW, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 114460miles, 6cyl.

geologymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Please donít say that you also have the original battery in it?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
geologymule

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Please donít say that you also have the original battery in it?

Nope, changed the battery back in January. I'm not an expert, but I have a feeling it is the computer...I've just never had a computer go bad so I don't know what to expect.
Unread 05-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Atwater10
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Josh, A couple of years ago, my wife got into our '93 5.2L and turned the key to start and it did the same thing. The battery had died, so I went to town and got a new one.

When it was installed, same thing: relays clicking, no start, high beams flashing. I tried to disconnect the battery again, pull some fuses and no luck.

After a day of fooling around and calling shops, a dealer service tech told me that because of the security system, I would need to place the key into the 'passengers side door' and lock, then unlock the door to re-set this...............It Worked.

I hope this is all that needs to be done on yours.

PS the little remote control wouldn't do it either

Chuck
'94 YJ 2.5L/5sp - White Jeep Club #55
Atwater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
geologymule

I locked it, and then hit my unlock button twice on the remote and it stopped and cranked right up. Twice though since I have had it unlocked and my girlfriend has opened up the passenger side door and the security systems disables it again....something weird is going on with it, but at least I know now how to turn it off.

Thannks
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater10
Josh, A couple of years ago, my wife got into our '93 5.2L and turned the key to start and it did the same thing. The battery had died, so I went to town and got a new one.

When it was installed, same thing: relays clicking, no start, high beams flashing. I tried to disconnect the battery again, pull some fuses and no luck.

After a day of fooling around and calling shops, a dealer service tech told me that because of the security system, I would need to place the key into the 'passengers side door' and lock, then unlock the door to re-set this...............It Worked.

I hope this is all that needs to be done on yours.

PS the little remote control wouldn't do it either

Chuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.