No Ignition Power, Then Starts, but has Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No Ignition Power, Then Starts, but has Issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
charlierh2
2002 WJ 

No Ignition Power, Then Starts, but has Issues

I'm having a problem occasionally when starting my 02 GC. I turn the key to the start position and nothing happens, no lights on my dash and and no sounds from under the hood. If I leave the key in the run position for a few seconds the guages cycle and jump around and the dash lights come on and it starts normally. After that I have had two separate instances of what happens next:

The first time the engine started but immediately died, so I gave it some gas and it ran fine after it warmed up (behaving as it I was starting a carbed engine cold without choking it). There were no other symptoms.

The second time the clock, mpg and trip mileage indicators had all reset, but the radio station presets had not. This time the engine ran fine.

A little history: last winter the starter died and I killed the ignition switch trying to start it. The ignition switch and started were both replaced. The battery is about 18 months old and holds a charge well enough for 6-8 hours of loud radio play so I doubt its causing any problems. There is a little corrosion on the battery post which I haven't gotten around to cleaning yet, but it looked minimal.

The "trick" I've noticed for starting it is to let the key sit on run for a second or two before cranking the engine, so far it has started fine every time using that method.

Thanks very much for any insight.

Charlie

charlierh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Clean the corrosion on the battery terminal and report back. Wj's are finikey about the battery connections
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
charlierh2
2002 WJ 

I took another look at the battery and it was relatively clean and the connections were tight, but I cleaned it up anyway just to make sure. I keep waiting for the problems to return but its been a month and it starts fine every time. I'm really amazed. First step to any electrical problems will always be clean the battery connections first.

Thanks
charlierh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.