No Hot heat Please help..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No Hot heat Please help.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

No Hot heat Please help.....

Hey guys, well It getting super cold and needed to use the heat a few weeks now. But It stopped blowing hot air. Sometimes it will blow hot for 5 seconds then get cool. I know my heater core is a little clogged cuz i can hear the anti freeze flowing thru.

Where should I start to look at? What do you guys think would need replacing?
Dont really wanna throw money into her unless it is really worth it. Thanks guys.

Truck warms up properly no issues there.
Radiator fluid is full, over flow tank was a little low.
Truck temp never goes above 220.
Heater core is a little clogged but has been since I got the truck.

KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Maybe the blend door.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1.../#post14474612

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you have the auto climate control?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Do a reverse flush on the core.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
NewbombTurk
1995 ZJ 

Could very well be a "air pocket" in the system.
NewbombTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Do you have the auto climate control?
I believe I do.
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Do a reverse flush on the core.
I want to flush it out but dont have a powerful enough air compressor.
Is there another way to flush it?
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
chiefjohnston
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, do a reverse flush. You can use the method I found using vinegar and lemon juice, blow out all the coolant with compressed air first, then fill the thing with the vinegar lemon juice, let it sit, the longer the better, blow it out and repeat, each time I did my son's (3 times) we got more crap out of it. Now it makes heat again! I drove it for two years without and finally had it with the thing, so, Good Luck! Changing the core is a major PITA!!!!!
chiefjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefjohnston View Post
Yeah, do a reverse flush. You can use the method I found using vinegar and lemon juice, blow out all the coolant with compressed air first, then fill the thing with the vinegar lemon juice, let it sit, the longer the better, blow it out and repeat, each time I did my son's (3 times) we got more crap out of it. Now it makes heat again! I drove it for two years without and finally had it with the thing, so, Good Luck! Changing the core is a major PITA!!!!!
How powerful of an air compressor do you need.
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The auto climate controls malfunction commonly and can cause havoc with the blend doors. Mine has an intermittent problem where it will blow cold as ice one second then suddenly go warm. After disconnecting then reconnecting the battery it works normally again. Hasn't been a problem in a long time. I just need to go pull another unit from the jy
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The auto climate controls malfunction commonly and can cause havoc with the blend doors. Mine has an intermittent problem where it will blow cold as ice one second then suddenly go warm. After disconnecting then reconnecting the battery it works normally again. Hasn't been a problem in a long time. I just need to go pull another unit from the jy
I dont think it is the blend door problem.
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
I want to flush it out but dont have a powerful enough air compressor.
Is there another way to flush it?
If you're going to do a reverse flush remove the heater hoses from the front of your 4.0 since it's easy to mess up the soft copper/brass tubes coming out of an OE heater core or cause a leak where they're soldered on.

Then remove the hoses from the clips on the side of the valve cover and drain them down in a bucket. Then position the hoses up higher than the core add a can of fast flush with some warm water with a funnel until it comes out of the other hose and let it sit for a while with the hoses up.

Next drain the flush with the hoses down and flush out with clean water from a garden hose nozzle. Wear safety glasses since this flush can be nasty or you could use something less corrosive as already mentioned.

A low pressure air compressor should work fine and all you're trying to do is get the leftover liquid out. The hose pressure is a lot more important for removing the deposits/scale. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
If you're going to do a reverse flush remove the heater hoses from the front of your 4.0 since it's easy to mess up the soft copper/brass tubes coming out of an OE heater core or cause a leak where they're soldered on.

Then remove the hoses from the clips on the side of the valve cover and drain them down in a bucket. Then position the hoses up higher than the core add a can of fast flush with some warm water with a funnel until it comes out of the other hose and let it sit for a while with the hoses up.

Next drain the flush with the hoses down and flush out with clean water from a garden hose nozzle. Wear safety glasses since this flush can be nasty or you could use something less corrosive as already mentioned.

A low pressure air compressor should work fine and all you're trying to do is get the leftover liquid out. The hose pressure is a lot more important for removing the deposits/scale. Good luck!
Ok. I have a 97 Grand cherokee and when I looked under the hood my heater core lines are side by side, do you know which way the flow is? And these lines connect into the water pump correct?

My hoses seemed a little squashy, and old. Should I replace them?

should One use like Bleach or Draino to unclogg the heater core?

Also with the Air hose, dont you want decent pressure so you blow out the gunk that has built up. Or will a garden hose do the trick?
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Disconnect both heater hoses. Do what he does. Not the part where he gets it in his face.

Unread 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

i found that too, and watched it, I just dont know how much psi I would need from the compressor. mine may do 80 if that.
I am going to try this, and replace my thermostat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.