No hitch mounting studs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No hitch mounting studs?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

No hitch mounting studs?

Bought a used 1yr old hitch yesterday...I go to look under my Jeep and I don't see any mounting studs? I got a picture of one side (both look the same). So how the heck am I supposed to mount this? Do I take out (and replace) the bolts where the studs WOULD be? In my build sheet it says "Trailer Tow Prep-Group" and this didn't have a factory hitch on it, as far as I know.

phpdoltwvpm.jpg

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Anyone?
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Pretty sure its a bolt dont think there is a stud just get the proper size bolt.
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

That what I'm thinking but every post Iv'e looked up they all had studs...this is weird
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I appear to be wrong there is supposed to be studs, that being said at least 1 of mine broke off from inside the frame and im not sure how im gonna attach the new stud cause it broke lol.
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Stock installs do have studs, but they're a PITA to work with. Grade 8 hardware and skinny hands will do the trick.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
Stock installs do have studs, but they're a PITA to work with. Grade 8 hardware and skinny hands will do the trick.
So youre saying to take out those two bolts where the stubs would be and replace them then use them to mount the hitch?
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Neither of my ZJ's had the tow package and they use bolts to hold it on.
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
So youre saying to take out those two bolts where the stubs would be and replace them then use them to mount the hitch?
There should be a plate that hooks to the bumper in there that those bolts go into. I'd recommend pulling the bumper cladding (if you have it) to get the job done right.

The bolt heads look pretty rusty. I wonder what the rest of the bolt looks like.

Unread 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post

There should be a plate that hooks to the bumper in there that those bolts go into. I'd recommend pulling the bumper cladding (if you have it) to get the job done right.
So I'm missing a plate? Or are you saying on the other side of those bolts there is a plate so in theory the bolt would go through

Hitch>frame rail>plate your talking about >nut??

Might have to go to the steerlership to figure this one out o.O
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Pretty close - the plate should have the nuts welded to it.

Remove the plastic bumper cladding, then the steel bumper itself. You'll see what I'm talking about

Unread 11-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So I can remove the bumper itself and put a nut where the studs are assuming some of mine broke? And it will be sufficient not having the nuts welded? Im curious cause some of mine broke the welded nut inside the frame and a friend suggested cutting into the frame to reweld some nuts but that woukd mean whenever I have to get to my tank I would have to remove both bumpers to drop the skidplate im planning to install.
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You need to tread lightly here - from the sound of it, there is more (rust) damage than I've been able to glean from your description.

From a strength perspective, it's always best to have good hardware all over, and multiple layers of steel helps with that. Safety first.

Unread 11-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Its not that rusty its just those bolts have been there for 19 years and my jeep has almost 500000kms on it and the impact took care of the rest. I think only one maybe two broke like that. But what would you suggest? I dont like the idea of cutting into the frame but it would be a pita to go to that extent everytime I need to drop my tank.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Its just dirt sat on those nuts fora long time and im sure weakend them I suppose. My jeep has undercoating on it from what I think is new. I also dont know about removing the rear bumper and not being able to put it back on cause I broke another bolt. I didnt see an obscene amount of rust when I had my fuel tank off either and a hammer was not able to pierce a hole in the frame either lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.