no heat ? flush heater core ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no heat ? flush heater core ?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
jeepunlimited

no heat ? flush heater core ?

hey guys, my 93 grand cherokee doesnt have very warm heat. It has new heater hoses, new coolant and a new 195 degree thermostat, its leaking a tad bit of coolant from the drain **** but nothing to get in a pinch about.

I am thinkin maybe my heater core is possibley plugged up, what would be the best way to flush it ?? i was thinkin of removing the heater hose lines and using a pressure washer ?? but would a pressure washer cause damage to the heater core?? i dont wanna pull the dash at all...i just want to try to flush it out , i have tried with a garden hose twice, the heat comes back for 1 day good as new, then slowly fades,

any ideas on whats the best way to flush the heater core guys ?

also could the rad cap have anything to do with temp of heat ?? like pressure in the system ?? my dad put a different rad cap on it cause the old ones spring was weak and leaking a tad bit of coolant ?? could a cap be the cause of no heat ??

also the jeep gets up to operating temp everytime i drive it , and there are no overheating problems what so ever.

Bone Stock with the acception of a K+N drop in filter and my aftermarket stereo, also did alot of new tune up wear and tear parts!
366 000 kilometers and stilll runs great :)
purchased for $125 bucks, amazing daily driver for the money
jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
jeepunlimited

anybody chime in ?
Bone Stock with the acception of a K+N drop in filter and my aftermarket stereo, also did alot of new tune up wear and tear parts!
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepunlimited
hey guys, my 93 grand cherokee doesnt have very warm heat. It has new heater hoses, new coolant and a new 195 degree thermostat, its leaking a tad bit of coolant from the drain **** but nothing to get in a pinch about.

I am thinkin maybe my heater core is possibley plugged up, what would be the best way to flush it ?? i was thinkin of removing the heater hose lines and using a pressure washer ?? but would a pressure washer cause damage to the heater core?? i dont wanna pull the dash at all...i just want to try to flush it out , i have tried with a garden hose twice, the heat comes back for 1 day good as new, then slowly fades,

any ideas on whats the best way to flush the heater core guys ?

also could the rad cap have anything to do with temp of heat ?? like pressure in the system ?? my dad put a different rad cap on it cause the old ones spring was weak and leaking a tad bit of coolant ?? could a cap be the cause of no heat ??

also the jeep gets up to operating temp everytime i drive it , and there are no overheating problems what so ever.

With the engine up to temperature, feel the heater hose to see if they are hot. If they are, you are getting a flow thru the heater core & flushing will not cure the problem.
You can flush the heater core via the heater hoses, but DON'T use a pressure washer, or you'll be soaking up water from the passenger's floor, after you blow out the heater core. Use a garden hose & don't do anything that could build up pressure in the system > ~18#.

In my opinion, you probably have an issue with the positioning of your mixing/blend doors. The heater core is getting hot, but the air isn't being channeled into the cabin.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Are you getting any air flow from the vents at all?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
CLASH
1995 ZJ 

sometimes my heat/ ac will just randomly shut off then if I let off the gas it will start blowing again. what would cause that?
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Does it shut off or blow through the defrost?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
jeepunlimited

i get air through the vents all the time, just sometimes it isnt hot, the heater hoses are burning hot, i cant hold them for very long at all, and they are both hot as hell...feed and return to the heater core

how would i go about checking the doors to the cabin ?? is there a way to open them to heat and leave it on it , like dissconnect the doors soo they cant close ?? is there any way i can work with the doors to get maximum heat out of it , i dont have AC soo im not worried about it , the old owner removed the AC compressor and idont mind not having ac at all, i just want heat!!!

would there be a explanation as to why it wont be that warm but then after driving it for a bit, it starts to heat up the dissapears again when i shut it down and start it back up ???? , would the digital unit in the dash have anything to do with doors not opening correctly ?? or should i dig under the dash to figure it out

also the positioning of the heat doesnt change at all, if i have it on floor, its on the floor, if i have it on defrost, its on defrost , , doesnt move the air flow until the dial is turned

any help would be great

thanx guys
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
CLASH
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Does it shut off or blow through the defrost?
it blows through the defrost. what does tthat mean?
Unread 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Vacuum leak

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
CLASH
1995 ZJ 

ok. how to I go about finding the leak. and how to fix it.
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Google is your friend Clash - search finding a vacuum leak and you'll find loads of resources.

Search the forum too.

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
CLASH
1995 ZJ 

okkk. ill do some searching
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
jeepin4evr
1998 ZJ 

Thread Resurection

Hey Did you ever get your heat problem fixed? I am having trouble with my lack of heat and finding the solution.
Knn FIPK
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil
Courtsey of Kolak
Thorley headers, flow master 70, carsound cat
[]lllllll[]
_____
jeepin4evr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
cmonson

Instead of taking the easy way out (dont worry we are all guilty of it sometimes), just replace the 17 year old heater core. It is about 1 days work, but then it will be good for another 15 years.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So.....I know this is a really old thread, but i have to ask.....what do you do if the previous owner put a few (more than 2) tubes of stop leak in there? ...my buddy is having this problem right now. Thermostat was plugged up, heater core is plugged up...there was even a glob on the back of the radiator cap....WOW..... is there an easy solution to clean all that crap out so that the heater will work again
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.