No gauges no lights will turn over but wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No gauges no lights will turn over but wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
matthew51423
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No gauges no lights will turn over but wont start

i have a 1997 grand cherokee limted 5.2 that i cant get to start it will turn over.... i have no lights,gauges,alram light nothing but it will turn over... im totally stuck with no idea what happen about 3days the rmp tech an speed gauge went out... no i went to start it n nothing no radio alram head lights doom lights nothing but the truck will turn over.... somebody out shoot me some ideas of whats going on?

matthew51423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

fuse
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

^^ x2, check the small 20A fuses in the fuse box under the hood, I'd bet the one for the ASD relay is blown
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

That, or crank sensor is bad and the lights are just a coincidence.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Crank sensor and cam shaft sensor are the two that will cause it not to start right?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Two of the ones that can. The crank sensor and o2 sensors can short out causing the ecu to not boot. giving no gauges while cranking, no cel either.

Unread 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Murdered0utGC
2000 WJ 

my cousin had the same problem with his '96 GC, it was the body control module (BCM) that was bad. we put in a new one, and it started right up!
Murdered0utGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...e-help-787003/

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
matthew51423
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just replace the bcm an got nothing.... the fuses are all good an i replaces the asd relay nothin... the fuel pump is not turning on either....but i did have the battery an alt check both are good... some how the battery is full charged an when i wake up in the morning the battery is dead so thiers something still drawing power... im clueless.....does anybody think it could be with the alram ?
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i think you need to get a multimeter out and track down the draw.

Unread 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
matthew51423
1997 XJ Cherokee 

what would be the main cause of tech an mph gauge going out? 3days before i had any major problems my tech an mph gauge went out everything else still worked?
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Gauge cluster, wiring, ecu, bcm, could be a lot of things

Unread 08-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
NYCXJ90
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Recently replaced my evaporator so naturally I had every harness disconnected. Once I put it all back and started it up I had no cluster whatsoever and it only idled for about 3 seconds and died each time.

OBD wasn't giving me any clues so under the dash I went and disconnected and inspected/cleaned every quick disconnect on every harness. I even pulled the cluster out and checked the connection there.

Magically after 45 min of that nonsense it started up and everything worked. Its the long way but who knows.

It sounds like you have a short but you may get lucky and find a corroded/shorted terminal somewhere.

Good luck
NYPD Jeep Club Member #2
Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #3
So I tell the swampdonkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and I have her lick me yardballs.
NYCXJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
matthew51423
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I got it fixed... I learned my lesson i bought this jeep about 4months an never thought it would been a bad ground... Thier two braided metal grounds that attach to the back side of the motor by the driver side val cover to the firewall them a ground goes from the motor to.the frame... Jeep to not like sh*t for grounds make sure u always have a back up ground on the battery if you plan on puttin some mud on them tires...... An i fixed the mph gauge the wires holding the speed sensor were not holding in the plug... Nothing but a Lil tape can't fix...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.