Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

No gauges no lights will turn over but wont start

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  matthew51423 
#1 ·
i have a 1997 grand cherokee limted 5.2 that i cant get to start it will turn over.... i have no lights,gauges,alram light nothing but it will turn over... im totally stuck with no idea what happen about 3days the rmp tech an speed gauge went out... no i went to start it n nothing no radio alram head lights doom lights nothing but the truck will turn over.... somebody out shoot me some ideas of whats going on?

#9 ·
I just replace the bcm an got nothing.... the fuses are all good an i replaces the asd relay nothin... the fuel pump is not turning on either....but i did have the battery an alt check both are good... some how the battery is full charged an when i wake up in the morning the battery is dead so thiers something still drawing power... im clueless.....does anybody think it could be with the alram ?

#13 ·
Recently replaced my evaporator so naturally I had every harness disconnected. Once I put it all back and started it up I had no cluster whatsoever and it only idled for about 3 seconds and died each time.

OBD wasn't giving me any clues so under the dash I went and disconnected and inspected/cleaned every quick disconnect on every harness. I even pulled the cluster out and checked the connection there.

Magically after 45 min of that nonsense it started up and everything worked. Its the long way but who knows.

It sounds like you have a short but you may get lucky and find a corroded/shorted terminal somewhere.

Good luck

#14 ·
I got it fixed... I learned my lesson i bought this jeep about 4months an never thought it would been a bad ground... Thier two braided metal grounds that attach to the back side of the motor by the driver side val cover to the firewall them a ground goes from the motor to.the frame... Jeep to not like sh*t for grounds make sure u always have a back up ground on the battery if you plan on puttin some mud on them tires...... An i fixed the mph gauge the wires holding the speed sensor were not holding in the plug... Nothing but a Lil tape can't fix...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.