No Front Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No Front Driveshaft

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
timtuttlez3531
1995 ZJ 

No Front Driveshaft

Hey all. I currently own a 95 Laredo, 5.2 4WD. The thing is it has no front driveshaft. Ive been driving it around like this for about 5 months and was curious if this is bad for the vehicle. I don't do any pulling or off-roading at all. My old man was my go to guy for these kinds of things but he recently passed and if I lose this Jeep, I am beyond screwed. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

timtuttlez3531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
BoostinBubba
1996 ZJ 

Its possible to damage the viscous coupler inside the transfer case running without a front driveshaft. Damage has probably already been done, though, pick up a $75 case from the pull-a-part when you go to get a front driveshaft just in case.
BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
timtuttlez3531
1995 ZJ 

Okay. Good to know. Thanks a lot man.
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The VC is shot at this point. Your two options are to swap in a 242 or 231 transfer case (thread in the stickies) or replace the VC ($350 part, few hours work). MIght as well leave the driveshaft out at this point, but make sure you are using the e-brake since the 93-95 years will roll in park without the front driveshaft in.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
timtuttlez3531
1995 ZJ 

Thanks a lot for the info. And yeah I noticed the rolling a couple times. It's very slight but enough to scare anyone. My parking brake is good but I just avoid hills altogether. Thanks again. I'll have to look into those other TC's at the salvage yard.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I would just change the viscous coupler and put a stock drive shaft back in. With a good viscous coupler (only the 96-98 style is available now I think), there really is no advantage to swapping to a 231 (other than having 2WD for burnouts). The 242 is a horrible transfer case. The Full Time option is really pointless since there is an open differential in it. So all it takes is one wheel to lose traction and you're going nowhere. You then have to shift into Part Time to get moving again. Tell me the point of Full Time now? Plus the 242 is EXTREMELY picky about linkage adjustment. Plus they get stuck in one position requiring rolling back and forth to get them into another selection.

The 249 is stronger, and with a new VC will outlast the Jeep at this point (honestly, do you REALLY think your Jeep is going to last ANOTHER 150,000 miles?).

No modifications to the Jeep required, no getting a shaft shortened, etc.

But that's just my opinion. Take it for what it cost you.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.