JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   No ethanol gas (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/no-ethanol-gas-1505638/)

Will9119 04-07-2013 03:28 PM

No ethanol gas

How many of you use no ethanol gas? Is it worth the extra cost? What benefits do you get from using it?

cdaniels85 04-07-2013 03:45 PM

I live in Western PA and I couldn't find non-ethanol gas if my life depended on it. It's practically impossible anymore with gov't mandated ethanol use. If I could find it I'd be willing to pay a little extra in order to put good fuel in the Jeep and lawn equipment.

cdaniels85 04-07-2013 03:47 PM

Even our marinas use e10. Can't escape it!

JPcpa 04-07-2013 03:50 PM

I am in Va and can find it out in the rural areas. I run only E0 in my boats lawn mowers and small engines. Costs about 50 cents a gallon more but worth it.

Actually had a dream the other night that my local station stopped selling non-e it was a nightmare. Haha.

E 10 sucks for boats but not sure makes much difference for FI vehicles.

diamondflaw 04-07-2013 05:25 PM

I luckily have a service station .5mi away from home that sells E0 here, and I love it for but it does hit the wallet a bit. I use it in our car since it helps it have enough power to keep up on the highway (and gets a bit better gas mileage with it), but haven't noticed as huge of a difference in the 4.0 since I don't have to hammer on it anyway to get up to speed (no freeways within 45min drive).

Uniblurb 04-07-2013 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPcpa (Post 15261628)
I am in Va and can find it out in the rural areas. I run only E0 in my boats lawn mowers and small engines. Costs about 50 cents a gallon more but worth it.

Actually had a dream the other night that my local station stopped selling non-e it was a nightmare. Haha.

E 10 sucks for boats but not sure makes much difference for FI vehicles.

I can't even find ethanol-free fuel around here and just hate running E10 through my mowers, trimmer, backpack blower, chain saw, generator, etc..

Just wait until E15 replaces E10 and it's been approved by the EPA for all vehicles from 2001+. At least they realize it damages small engines but they're also mandating catalytic converters on many small engines (eg. mowers, generators, etc..) starting this year and next. Oh boy....

per consumerreports.org, March, 2013.

"Tools & Power Equipment
Gas with ethanol can make small engines fail
Mar 22, 2013 10:00 AM

The Environmental Protection Agency has approved gasoline with 15 percent ethanol for use in cars year 2001 or newer, yet it prohibits its use in mowers and other power equipment, stating it may cause damage. A Department of Energy study found that E15 caused hotter operating temperatures, erratic running, and engine-part failure. But even gas with the usual 10 percent ethanol (E10) could help destroy small engines.

"Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, harder starting, and reduced engine life," says Marv Klowak, global vice president of research and development for Briggs & Stratton, the largest manufacturer of small engines. "The higher the ethanol content, the more acute the effects." Servicing dealers are reporting similar problems, even with E10, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, the industry's trade group.

The OPEI also claims that proposed warnings at pumps are insufficient and that customers will blame equipment makers should mowers and other outdoor gear fail from being accidentally fueled with E15 gasoline. Using gasoline with more than the usual 10-percent ethanol has long voided most small-engine warranties but, until recently, the chance of doing so has been minimal.

Fuel additives such as Sta-Bil are now claimed to protect engines from ethanol by preventing it from settling out of the gasoline, attracting moisture, and concentrating its corrosive effects; we have not yet tested those additives. Here are other ways to protect your equipment:

For smaller string trimmer and leaf blower engines, consider using ethanol-free fuel. Sears, home centers, marinas, and some equipment dealers sell it, though at a premium over what you'd pay on the street. The quart cans sold at retail cost about $5 to $8—still cheaper than a new carburetor or engine.
Use mowers and riders often during the mowing season to help burn the fuel before the ethanol can attract water and draw it into the fuel system. Also be sure to treat fuel with a stabilizer and run mowers and other larger equipment dry before storing it for the season.

For this season, Consumer Reports has updated its Ratings and recommendations for lawn mowers, string trimmers and leaf blowers. We also talked to some landscapers about the new trend in cutting back on your lawn and your yard work. The before and after photos may give you some ideas for your own property.

—Ed Perratore"

Sorry, wouldn't allow me to post just a link so had to copy/paste the whole article.

Nick05 04-07-2013 06:53 PM

well, can't tell you for sure with the 4.0, but i know my little four-banger xj would run a lot smoother and gain an extra 1-2 mpg. i knew a mechanic with a newer tacoma that claimed with ethonal he got 14city/18hwy, without he got 16/20. around here there are plenty of places that sell no ethanol for a little more(.05-.10 per gallon) and that is all i use.

Nick05 04-07-2013 06:56 PM

justed asked my wife about hers. she said she got 13-14 with ethanol and since we've changed she gets 16-18. so, you might pay an extra dollar($.05 more per gallon x 20 gallons = $1.00) to gain at least an extra 40 miles, totally worth it

kensnelling 04-07-2013 08:04 PM

On my Jeep and Ram truck I lose a little over 10% fuel mileage using E-10 instead of E-0 fuel. My bike loses almost 20% fuel mileage using E-10.

Around here E-0 is only 15-20¢ higher than E-10. When you break it down into cost per mile it's cheaper for me to use E-0. I have relatives in the Kansas City area, and up there E-0 was 60¢ more per gallon than E-10. Breaking that down into cost per mile E-10 is the winner.

Ken

texan2 04-07-2013 08:12 PM

In Texas there is a chain of BBQ joints called "Rudy's"....they all have a Phillips 66 gas station attached. All the ones I have visited advertise that their gas is 100% gasoline, no ethanol. Price seemed comparable to other E10 gas stations in the area.

zander21510 04-07-2013 08:21 PM

Ethanol has a lower energy potential than gasoline so makes sense mileage would go down (my friend tried E85 in his truck one time, I think he went from 16MPG to like 10).

Only places I've seen E0 is a couple of gas stations in Arkansas in the middle of nowhere and out on marinas in Florida.

E10 is killer on small engines...just yesterday my girlfriend's dad was replacing the fuel line on his mower because the E10 had flaked it to pieces. Same thing happened to one of my dad's leaf blowers.

I feel like since E10 was supposedly "safe" for all engines, and E15 explicitly says safe only for 2001+, there may be a lot of stations that will still sell E10 or both (albeit at a large premium)

zander21510 04-07-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan2 (Post 15263071)
In Texas there is a chain of BBQ joints called "Rudy's"....they all have a Phillips 66 gas station attached. All the ones I have visited advertise that their gas is 100% gasoline, no ethanol. Price seemed comparable to other E10 gas stations in the area.

Rudys is delicious....:drool:

I don't remember seeing a sign saying no ethanol...I'll have to take a look next time.

kensnelling 04-07-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zander21510 (Post 15263140)
E10 is killer on small engines...

Yep, that's why I don't use E-10 in anything I own (unless I just can't help it). However, since I do small engine repair I LOVE E-10. I've got a 2 week backlog in the shop right now from people letting their equipment sit over the winter with E-10 in it. $$$

Ken

jnicewan 04-07-2013 09:13 PM

E10, E85 or E whatever is crap, I have ran E85 for a few tanks just to be sure that I was wasting fuel and money. MPG went down almost 30% and power was significantly less too. Just for the simple fact of economics (which is most important to us right? ) ethanol fuel makes no sense and there are a few other important reasons to stay away from it too.

I wont go into all the details on running E85 but I have all the numbers on paper for MPG, cost per gallon, miles driven etc. What I will say that I thought was interesting was I was using about 8 gallons more of E85 to drive the same distance per tank of 100% gas. So If E85 is better or should I say "greener" then how does that work when you are burning more of it, did the .gov/EPA factor this in as well? Is the E85 fuel emissions at least 25-30% cleaner just to break even with the 100% gas emissions?

texan2 04-07-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zander21510 (Post 15263150)
Rudys is delicious....:drool:

I don't remember seeing a sign saying no ethanol...I'll have to take a look next time.

The first one I saw it at was in Corpus Christi....the ones in San Antonio also have that notice posted.

The time now is 05:08 PM.