No A/C at sea level??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No A/C at sea level???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

No A/C at sea level???

So our A/C has been working all summer long. Nice and cold. Then we left the springs (6,600ft above sea level) at night. a/c off. Then the sun came up and so did the outside temp. We were in Kansas / Missouri at this time. So i turned on the a/c. Nothing. Just blew air. Not cold air. All settings worked. Defrost, vent, floor. All blower motor speeds worked. Just no cold air. What gives? Does altitude play a roll in this? Density of the air? Humidity? Or just coincidence?

ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check to see if your AC clutch is engaging. It might have a slow leak ( I can guarantee it does...even if it's a tiny bit because they all do.)...and it maybe has leaked out enough r 134 so that the clutch will not engage. If so, you'll need a charge to top it off...which you can do yourself....if you jump the cutoff switch so that the compressor clutch engages again while charging it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Clutch is engaging. So im guessing its low. Low enough to operate at high altitude but notsea level.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Haha I actually have the reverse problem

I just got a recharge a few months ago
I live at a few feet below sea level, and when I got up to about 5-7000feet I lost my a/c until I got back home

Sent from somewhere
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJfamilyfun View Post
Does altitude play a roll in this? Density of the air? Humidity? Or just coincidence?
Altitude (or air pressure) will not cause your system to suddenly stop working. It is a closed system, under pressure much higher than atmospheric.

However, temperature differences might play a role in your system if your coolant charge is close to the shut-off limit.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.