niner build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > niner build thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

niner build thread

Did a little intro to the new to us ZJ here... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...rname-2825730/

But I thought I would actually make a build thread for record keeping and such here. Criticism is welcomed, but let's not bash everything my dad and I do. Pictures are uploading to photobucket right now, so they will be up tonight.

Enjoy!

Unread 11-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

This is how it sat when we saved it from decay in an apartment complex. It has set untouched for 2 years.

Last edited by wj_jeep92; 11-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: i am not good as this picture thing
wj_jeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Its missing the niner grille and wheels sucky.......

My buddy sold his for parts cause 1 he hydrolocked the engine and 2 the trans was screwed and we could not find a used 46rh in all of western canada
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Its missing the niner grille and wheels sucky.......
We've got the grill, it was in the trunk. Unfortunately it has some broken tabs though. Not too concerned about the wheels because they are going to be replaced anyways, but I understand the thinking. I would probably be inclined to buy true niner wheels if a deal came up...
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I like the niner wheels they look sharp. I dont really care for the grille though I like the old style chrome one. My buddy had that same black tab on his rear drivers side window I wonder if it was a factory option?
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I like the niner wheels they look sharp. I dont really care for the grille though I like the old style chrome one. My buddy had that same black tab on his rear drivers side window I wonder if it was a factory option?
Not sure on the tab back there, I assumed it was aftermarket due to the Kenwood radio for sat. radio or something.
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I would think that tab's for some kind of radio antenna.
vlackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

Just some progress on the jeep from yesterday and today.

I yanked all the accessories off the motor to get ready to pull it for a rebuild and maybe work it over a little. I also aligned the drivers side doors and figured out why the lift gate wasn't working. It is missing the 2 nuts that go on the linkage rod connecting to the locking mechanism so it looks like I'll be headed to the junkyard to pull those unless someone has the thread pitch and size for them. Also in need of the rear lift gate panel as the one in it broke.
The wiper arms, cross member, and skid plate were pulled off as well for a fresh coat of rattle can black. Trying to make it look as fresh off the showroom floor as we can. Will update this hopefully daily, but making as good use of the warm alabama weather as I can.
Unread 11-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The black tab was probably an antennae for a car phone.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
jeepjeepster

Pretty awesome that youre saving the old niner.
It'll never cease to amaze me that someone will let a once $40,000+ vehicle sit around and rot. People are something.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
people are something.
amen
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
jbadamo
1998 ZJ 

Why are all the decals in the wrong place on your 5.9? V8 with 5.9 should be on passenger side of tailgate not on drivers, and 5.9 limited should be on door behind GC not on front quarter panel. Add wrong wheels and messed up grill and hood you sure its not a 5.9 clone? Hope I'm wrong.
jbadamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadamo View Post
Why are all the decals in the wrong place on your 5.9? V8 with 5.9 should be on passenger side of tailgate not on drivers, and 5.9 limited should be on door behind GC not on front quarter panel. Add wrong wheels and messed up grill and hood you sure its not a 5.9 clone? Hope I'm wrong.
Its a 5.9 limited.
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadamo View Post
You're wrong haha, it is a true niner. My dad deciphered the vin and it all checked out. It actually doesn't have any 5.9 badges on it at all.
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Pretty awesome that youre saving the old niner.
It'll never cease to amaze me that someone will let a once $40,000+ vehicle sit around and rot. People are something.
That's kind of why we did it. My dad was actually wanting to do a wj project because of how nice my 02 was. I found this, explained that it is a piece of history, and somehow convinced him to jump on board. It was dirt cheap as well, only $650. We are hoping to have it back to its former glory, maybe with a little more power though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.