JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   nice decent hitch opinions? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/nice-decent-hitch-opinions-1237212/)

lbgreenroom 07-08-2011 07:49 PM

nice decent hitch opinions?

ok so im looking for a hitch not to expensive as i wont really be pulling anything. just incase i need to sometime and i figured eh why not get one. any advice on a decent not too expensive say under $150 dollar hitch? btw this is for a 97 limited zj.

thanks!

SAR-Swimmer 07-08-2011 08:11 PM

I'd give you mine, if you lived closer, but shipping would kill you. :)
The stock tow hitch that came with the ZJs would be your best bet, you could find one at an auto-wrecker fairly cheaply, I'd think.
Just remember, if you add a hitch, everyone and their dog will want you to tow something for them, so you'll want to make sure you set up proper trailer lights, and if you do tow much, you might want to invest in a transmission-cooler as well.

PitchblakToxic7 07-08-2011 08:14 PM

Go to Home Depot and pick one up for $30 bucks, no need to spend $150 unless you actually tow something often.

Just a tip, don't leave it in, it will be stolen eventually.

Edit: Never mind, I think we're talking about something else hahah. Regardless, never tow anything 2000lbs or more very far without a transmission cooler. If you pick a cooler up, I still would never push the weight farther then 3500-3700lbs, 4000lbs for short distances. ZJ's not built for it.

lbgreenroom 07-08-2011 08:24 PM

thanks for the heads up ill check out hd. found a reese for 125 might get that if i dont find anything else.

blackzj 07-08-2011 08:35 PM

check craigslist

JeepOrvis97 07-08-2011 10:44 PM

I got a killer deal on mine, about $15 with tax for a genuine mopar hitch and wiring harness kit from the local pull-a-part. It was on a Jeep that must have been from the south too since it was completely rust free. If you have any pull-a-part type places around you I'd check them out. I've seen hitches on the ZJs almost every time I go.

AAA 07-10-2011 10:20 AM

^^^^^ What he said. Go to a pick your part place. You can look around the get the style you want off another ZJ. Also get the wiring harness. Make sure you bring some penetrating oil and a heavy duty wrench, as those bolts may be very hard to get off.

leadfootny 07-10-2011 10:29 AM

I have a uhaul one I got from a jy for $75. If you do any kind of wheeling make sure it is a hidden style as some are fully below the bumper. A 2-3 inch difference in clearance.

AAA 07-10-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadfootny (Post 11834344)
I have a uhaul one I got from a jy for $75. If you do any kind of wheeling make sure it is a hidden style as some are fully below the bumper. A 2-3 inch difference in clearance.

I wheel quite often, and mine goes under my bumper, but I got it that way to protect the bumper. If I ever get a heavy duty rear bumper, then I'd want one built in, but I like mine under it with the stock bumper for protection. All depends on what you want it for.

The time now is 09:54 PM.