next big project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > next big project

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
grandman17

next big project

just finished my axle swap and motor rebuild, before i did any of this i had a minor leak coming from the rear main seal, so i finsihed rebuilding the motor ect, put oil in it to drive around and test it out ( planning on driving to school tomorrow UNTIL>>) now the rear main seal is a steady pour instead of a very minor drip, so now i will learn how to take the transmission and trans case off of the motor backing and replace the seal. anybody have a better way of doing this or any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated, and also any special tools i will NEED.

grandman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
joeyschribar

hey tonight i just removed my tranny/t case. A transmission jack is essential!!!!!

Jack your jeep up a few feet as well.

Ratchet with as many long extenstions as possible, to get at the hard to reach bolts on the transmission.
joeyschribar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
W4x4J

What year jeep and what size motor?
Jeeps rock!!!!!!!!!
Taupe Frost Metallic Club member #2
W4x4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
grandman17

93 GC 4.0 full time AWD tranny
grandman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

On 4L engine, the rear mail oil seal is accessible by removing the oil pan. Fel-Pro pn# BS 40612. I have one collecting dust. I have been meaning to do this for a one year now.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Not to be too nit-picky, but where I come from, an engine rebuild would include replacing all the seals, not to mention all the bearings, rings, gaskets, camshaft (maybe)...

Like Grease said, you can change the rear main oil seal by simply dropping the oil pan. You'll want to use a wooden dowel or similar to drive the old seal out. Don't use metal, you don't want to scratch the sealing surface. Beyond that, socket set and torque wrench are pretty much the only tools required for the job. Review the procedure in your Haynes manual. It's a very complete, and accurate, guide on this particular project.

HTH

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.