Newbie with Idle problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Newbie with Idle problems

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 01-20-2002, 10:57 PM   #1
MickeyAsh

Newbie with Idle problems

Hello guys! Just bought a '95 Laredo 4x4 I6 that idles around 500rpm, which is pretty rough feeling, if I tap the gas and get it to 1k rpm, it falls down to 700rpm and purrs like a kitten, then in a few seconds falls back to 500rpm. I read something about adjusting the TPS to DECREASE idle speed, can I do the same to increase it? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
-Ash

MickeyAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 08:14 AM   #2
Lazlo

I was having a similar problem with my 97. I replaced the idle control valve for $39 and it runs like new now. Good luck.
Lazlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
kuzma97ZJ

my 97 did almost the exact same thing and i changed the throttle position sensor and that fixed it. when i changed it i didn't see any way of adjusting it, maybe it is diferent on a 95.

hey goodluck......
1997 grand cherokee 4.0L, forest green, 3" skyjacker, 1" spacers, adj. front track bar, skyjacker sway bar dissconnects, procomp steering stabilizer, 31" super swamper LTB's, safari bar w/ 2 KC's, custom roof rack w/ 2 KC's, tow hooks front and back, CB, dynomax turbo muffler, custom K&N filter charger, 2 12" sony explode subs.
kuzma97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
Neil

Check the motor mounts too (trans mount also). this is a common problem.
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:13 AM   #5
Big Dumb White Guy

to adjust - loosen screws, just a little, and twist it. you'll hear the idle go up or down. i have adjusted mine. don't loosen them completely. just enough to where you can TAP it with a small hammer or the backside of a scewdriver.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 01:57 PM   #6
PSDesertXJ

Hi there - Just bought a 93 ZJ and am having similar probs. Only in my case, idle speed drops (and occasionally it stalls) but only after the engine has really warmed up. Cold idle is purrfect. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance - MJ
PSDesertXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.