newbie have questions??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > newbie have questions???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
93jeep_20

newbie have questions???

hello i just bought my first jeep and its a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and it has 140K.. it is in excellent condition, inside and out. it runs great. i just did a internal engine and tranny flush as well as front and rear diff..
there are a few problems with it..
1: check antilock light is on always??
2: i have to add coolent every 5 days or so.
3: and i have to add about 1/2 qt of oil every 2 weeks.
also for the stock radio, and speakers do i have to take the whole car apart? or is it simple???
also im looking for places where i can go mild off roading in the WA area, if someone knows and places please email or PM..

ps i was a street racer with my 1.8 now i wanna get into off roading, less tickets and ur not braking the law....

93jeep_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
900Steve

#1 can't help you
#2 take a look for coolent leaks. could be cracked hoses, hole in radiator or heater core, or water pump is busted. just take a look around, you'll be sure to spot the source.

#3 same deal with the oil leak, look until you find the source. i hear it's common for rear main oil seals to go bad. the 2-piece design is easy to change, infact i'll be changing mine in a couple of weeks.

good luck!

-steve
900Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Steve: Let me know how things turn out with that rear main seal. I am thinking of doing that as well. It looks like the exhaust pipe at the header & needs to be disconnected. Then I am hoping that the rest of the exhaust system can be moved to the side about an inch or two for clearance. What do you think? Maybe the oil pan can be manipulated around the exhaust without unbolting it. In any event; it would be a good idea to lube those bolts up now; just in case.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
93jeep_20

found a cracked heater hose, just replaced it now everything is good, antilock brakes how can i reset the light i heard u can do that.. also my catalytic converter is gone, should i replace it now or shouold i wait till i do full exhaust??
93jeep_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
Larry Rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeep_20
found a cracked heater hose, just replaced it now everything is good, antilock brakes how can i reset the light i heard u can do that.. also my catalytic converter is gone, should i replace it now or shouold i wait till i do full exhaust??
I just replaced my Cat Conv this week. 125,000 miles. I was told that NOT changing it is bad... something to do with back pressure on the engine. $149.00 including labor, not bad.

Good luck.

Larry
Larry Rink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Although a DRB scan tool is necessary to properly diagnose the ABS system (and is required to access any trouble codes that may have been stored), you can perform a few preliminary checks before taking the vehicle to a dealer who is equipped with this tester.
a). Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.
b). Verify that the electrical connector for the ECU is plugged in.
c). Check the electrical connector at the pump motor.
d). Check the ABS fuses.
e). Follow the wiring harness to each wheel and check that all connections are secure and that the wiring is not damaged.

If the above preliminary checks do not rectify the problem, the vehicle should be diagnosed by a dealer service department or other repair facility equipped with the necessary scan tool. Due to the rather complex nature of the system and the high operating pressures involved, all actual repair work must be done by a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop.

HTH
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
shadetree

larry, i got a '94 grand ch and 130k. this is my wifes dd and i've drove it enough to realize gas mileage is down and so is low end torque. this didn't just happen, however we've owned it since '98 and know the vehicle well. reading this do you think i should change that cat out and EXPECT results? oh! i've changed the o2 sensor and the ccv valve up top side already.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.