Newb tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Newb tire question

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
DS1111

Newb tire question

Just got married back in March and inherited from the wife a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with 47K on it. Really dig the vehicle! V8 has tons of pick up and that traction system hooks up awesome in the wet! Here's my deal, needs new tires now and I'm thinking of a VERY minor upgrade. Currently running 235/65/17's and I was thinking about going a bit larger but don't want to modify ANYTHING. I was thinking of holding the width the same and just adding a bit of height, like 235/75/17's on the stock rims??? By my calcs this would bump the overall diameter by 1.85", obviously only affecting the height of the vehicle by half that. I can't see that that could cause any rubbing problems, especially since it's no wider than stock but was wondering what you guys think? BTW, I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and would appreciate any thoughts on those too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Doug

DS1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Doug,

did you take a look through any of the pics in the stickied threads to see what they are running with similar stock suspension setups like yours?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

You have to buy 5 tires since you have either qaudra-trac or quadra-drive....

245/65R17 is the biggest you can go at stock height without rubbing, and you can go to 245/70R17 with minor rubbing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=14

The 235/75R17's I think will rub even more...I would go with the ones I listed if you're stuck on revos.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
MSU.WJ
2000 WJ 

I agree with Nick. 245/65R17 would be a good tire for you
MSU.WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
DS1111

Appreciate all the responses!

Nierace, man you threw me when you pointed out the fact that I'd need to replace the SPARE TOO!!!!! You are totally right! I didn't even think of that! That right there might be a deal breaker for me. I was trying to do just a little something without spending any extra money or hassle, ie. lift kit, etc.

I think given the small difference I would get with the sizes that would fit, I may just scrap the whole idea and just go with the stock size in the Dueler Revo's. The tires will prob. be a bit cheaper in that size anyway AND I can get by with just buying 4 !!!!

Thanks for the help guys!
If I ever want to do it right, that is lift, rims and tires, I'll look you up again!!!
DS1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.