New ZJ Owner!! Many Questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New ZJ Owner!! Many Questions.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
jjjman95
1998 ZJ 

New ZJ Owner!! Many Questions.

Let me say that I'm new to this forum. I'm also a new ZJ owner, so I'm open to all thoughts and opinions. I'm also a 17 year old kid on a budget, so please keep that in mind. 1st off, I have a 98 Laredo. I'm keeping the factory 15" rims for now. I think I want to go with the General Grabber AT 2 size 225/75R15. I want an aggressive look, so I feel like I should get a leveling kit.What size in the front and back? I don't want it too high, because those tires aren't really big. So, what size coil spacers should I get for my tire size? I can post pics of what I have if necessary. I also have some audio and mechanical questions, but I'm not sure if this is the place to ask them.

jjjman95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Get a 2" Budget Boost and 31x10.50 15's. No need for the metric tires unless you go with a taller rim. They are more expensive.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your ZJ should already be basically level. ZJs are not trucks, if yours is not currently level, one of your coils is compressed (causing other issues).

I would recommend 235/75R15s as 225 looks pretty small once it's actually on the ZJ. You can run upto 30x9.50 stock without rubbing so you won't need any spacers or otherwise.

Feel free to ask audio and mechanical questions here as well.

Welcome to the forum.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
jjjman95
1998 ZJ 

@PolkaPower: Okay. Because I found the grabbers I liked for about $120/tire at DT. So that's why I was thinking of going with those. Do you think the 31's would be cheaper?

@phfister: It is basically level, but the front end is a little lower than the back. I want it to be lifted but can't quite afford a total lift. That's why I was thinking of adding spacers.

Also, my jeep in leaking water on the passenger front and back floorboard. Is that a major issue? Do you all know how it can be fixed? I was also wondering what size sub I should add. Whatever size I add though, I want to put it in a truck sub enclosure to save some space. Is that a bad idea?
jjjman95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...t-wet-1401972/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
96ZJDave
1996 ZJ 

Didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but do you have a 4.0, 5.2, or 5.9? If you have the 4.0, you can take the front springs from a v8 and put them on yours and will level it out. Mine was the same way, looked about an inch lower in the front and after swapping brought the front to the same as the rear.

Definitely go with something bigger than a 225/75/15, they are gonna look too small and you probably wont like it.

The water on your floorboard is gonna be one of 2 things. It will either be your heatercore has a leak, or your ac drain is clogged. The heater core is a pain in the butt if you dont have experience with that stuff cause you have to pull the dash. If its the ac then its pretty easy to fix. Will take about 15 minutes tops to do. Do research on both before you do anything too crazy.
96ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
leveling lift , rims , tires , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.