New ZJ Orvis owner, new to jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New ZJ Orvis owner, new to jeeps

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

New ZJ Orvis owner, new to jeeps

Hey guys,
I'm new here, you have awesome forum, helpful and tons of info! I'm new to jeeps and don't know much about cars...
so, my story.
I came from charger forums, I'm huge charger fan, just huge. Charger was my all season vehicle, even though it was breaking my heart to drive it in the winter, although for RWD it handles pretty well (but I do get stuck occasionally or not drive at all in heavy snowy days) this last winter, they started using salt and some other chemical crap... Instantly I noticed rust spots on springs and a-arms. That depressed me, but I kept driving until... On one of black ice days (it warms up, highways are wet and then freezes and you have black ice) one guy almost slammed his pickup into me, I was going slow, cars in my lane were going slow... He thought since he had 4WD, he can go fast Well, he ended up in the ditch (he was going opposite direction) and almost smashed front of my car. That was the last straw. I am a good driver, never had accidents in the worst weather... but I can't talk for other drivers. So I decided to get a winter vehicle. I've always loved jeeps, loved how they looked and their charismatic character. We have tons, I would say mega tons of ZJs and WJ. Little less of XJs, but still plenty of them too. Every time I see one I get excited. However, I never thought having one, I wasn't an SUV type of person. I love fast speed, I love hemi and love my charger. This winter was extra snowy, extra long and I decided to get an SUV. Jeep of course, other SUVs I don't really care for. Didn't really care which I'd get XJ, ZJ, WJ (or any wrangler including 2013 one) would do. Do like really WK and really don't like WK2. So, when it came to money, wranglers were out of the question, even broken one from early 90s still expensive as heck. So my choice was XJ, ZJ, WJ. I didn't know much about transfer case options and other things... So I was aiming for cheapest and running one. WJs are also still expensive in my are. 1500 for WJ with broken engine. XJs are arouind 2k for 200k miles. ZJs around that as well. Suddenly, I found an ad guy was selling running/driving 1995 orvis for CHEAP. 480 dollars for 148k mi, runs and drives, needs some work. I went and looked at it. At that point, not knowing much about cars, my major thing was rust. Many jeeps I've looked at were getting rusty or bulging paint in quite the same spots and that depressed me. This one was rust free! I mean absolutely no rust anywhere! Wash it, wax it, remove scratches and it will look quite new. So, it runs as promised (I already put 230mi on it) no rust. But for that price it comes with few problems that need to be fixed.
So... the good: no rust, runs and drives, NO DEATH WOBBLE
the bad: aside of trashed interior (ripped seats, depressing filthy with cigarette holes, dog hair carpet)
it has few mechanical problems. belt is squeaking. Also guy was kind enough to leave the sheet he got from the shop. he sold it so cheaply, he didn't want to fix it anymore.
So, things that need to be fixed asap are L/R C-V Axles, ball bearing, wheel hubs, brakes are 80% worn, according to that shop, track bar needs to be replaced too (although what would be the symptoms? My jeep doesn't have death wobble and overall stable, however loose steering wheel and vehicle wants to drift to left).
Makes huge grinding noise when driving from the left wheel, so all that stuff needs to be replaced. Pinion seals, CV joints, even drive shaft. According to that shop. After seeing the price, guy took the jeep home and put it up for sale So, getting this ZJ Orvis a month ago made me want to fix it myself. I know very little about cars, but I'm determined to fix it with my own hands. I'll buy/borrow tools (big thing is breaker bar to take that nut off when changing c-v axle). I've been reading this forum for a month now, watching tons of videos, reading other forums as well. I now know (in theory) how t-case works, and that I really want 242 and thank god there is a way to swap them I have 249 and 148k miles... so VC (yes, i now know what that thing does too!) is near end of its life. I did those famous VC test, it seems it still good, but I'm thinking about swapping transfer case myself. See what Jeep does to me? But I needed a hobby anyway to get away from damn computers. I've got most of my questions answered just by reading the forum (no, search didn't really work for me, as I didn't know what to ask) but I've read and read... for a month. Now I know how to fix sagging door, fixed my lift gate. Have idea how to replace c-v axles and such.
However I do have questions I couldn't find answers anywhere...
Is it possible to fit seats from WK? or Charger? My seats are trashed anyway, and I would like something with upper back support. these seats are great for lower back, but I'm tall and driving in such seat will cause my upper back and neck just feel burning and really sore after long driving. so even though I do like these 2 tone seats, I would swap them for WK or charger seats... (front seats). Second question is will front bumper from 1996-97 JZ fit my 1995 ZJ? The bumber I have is painted and it was red in its previous life. I do not like fog lights in 1995 style and would much rather have 1996 style. And the last question. A stupid one. Will I be able to swap dashboard from 1996 to my 1995? I really don't like mechanical odometer. While I like everything about my jeep, mechanical odometer looks depressing next to really modern VIC... So, is it possible without swapping PCM?
Sorry for long post and thanks everyone for tons of info, if that goes at this rate, I'll become a car person or something

orvisss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Now that's a hell of a post! Anyway... to help you out some idk about WK but if you can find WJ seats you like, some people have swapped those inot their ZJs. I do not believe the dash swap is possible because Jeep changed the interior layout between 95 and 96. As far as the bumper, they are a little bit different because they changed the number of grill slats in 96 and I think the grill sets down into the bumper somewhat. Hope that helps.
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Off topic: I love Chargers too but as a student can't afford one. Just thought I'd share. Now back to you Jeep.
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Get some pictures up of it, your charger, and I've always liked the orvis edition zj. You might be able to find some clean leather zj seats in a salvage yard, I almost swapped my cloth for leather but couldn't justify it since my seats are rip free. I wouldn't swap the dash, leave it as is. The bumper and grill can be swapped over, see-the post below
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

dash will not swap. 96+ ZJs had ALOT more electronics. bumper cover will not swap without swapping a 96+ header panel, grill and everything else.
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

Didn't think you'd want to see pics of charger... after all this is jeep forum
anyway, here is my charger and jeep

and here is my ZJ
here is the driver seat all ripped and depressed:

Quote:
bumper cover will not swap without swapping a 96+ header panel, grill and everything else.
Swapping gill and header panel isn't the problem because they are busted anyway

Two extra questions: after driving for a while, I can smell exhaust in the cabin... Catalytic converter needs to be replaced? or? and second question how much I can tow with 242 or 249 transfer case?
thanks
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

You should check the exhaust header and the piping all the way back. You should be able to tow up to 5000lbs? I think, just make sure your brakes are good and take your time.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Too bad those Orvis seats are beat up. I always thought the green interior was cool.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

you can tow 6500. thats with a trailer with electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch. if you dont have either of those things dont go above 2000 pounds.
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4andmetal View Post
Too bad those Orvis seats are beat up. I always thought the green interior was cool.
I like these two tone seats too. But if I can fit charger seats in this jeep, I'll be happy too (even though it won't look as good)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
you can tow 6500. thats with a trailer with electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch. if you dont have either of those things dont go above 2000 pounds.
I guess can't really tow my charger on a trailer... Charger weights about 4000lbs or so. Also will have to install the hitch (I'm guessing it is going to be free deal because of that fancy recall. Yes, I've bought ZJ after all these mega scary stories from NHTSA which didn't impress me at all) I already have that skid plate on gas tank, but no hitch and I was going to install it anyway. Also my ZJ comes with transfer case protection. Is this factory or someone installed it aftermarket?
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

I believe the skid plate was factory because the Orvis Jeeps came with the upcountry package but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

yes skids and upcountry were factory installed on all orvis models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.