New ZJ, New To Jeep, some questions:) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New ZJ, New To Jeep, some questions:)

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
tibrocks

New ZJ, New To Jeep, some questions:)

Hi all!

I just bought a '97 Laredo, 4.0 6L - really excited about it, love the car

I've never owned a Jeep before and I have some questions:

1 the ABS light in the dash always on.. where should I look first? sensors? what's the most common failure here?

2 on the computer display (..is that the 'EVIC'?) there's a red square over the bonnet.. what's that?! some errors at the engine?

3 when I started the car after say three weeks I put it on Reverse, lifted the foot from the brake and nothing.. the engine sounded like on idle and the car didn't move.. I pushed the accel. but nothing - the engine was reving but the car not moving.. I switched to drive then R back and so on and eventually worked.. why that?

4 what are the quickest mods to boost the power/torque?

Thanks!

cheers

Tib

tibrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibrocks View Post
Hi all!

I just bought a '97 Laredo, 4.0 6L - really excited about it, love the car

I've never owned a Jeep before and I have some questions:

1 the ABS light in the dash always on.. where should I look first? sensors? what's the most common failure here?

2 on the computer display (..is that the 'EVIC'?) there's a red square over the bonnet.. what's that?! some errors at the engine?

3 when I started the car after say three weeks I put it on Reverse, lifted the foot from the brake and nothing.. the engine sounded like on idle and the car didn't move.. I pushed the accel. but nothing - the engine was reving but the car not moving.. I switched to drive then R back and so on and eventually worked.. why that?

4 what are the quickest mods to boost the power/torque?

Thanks!

cheers

Tib
1) mine was unplugged by the front calipers, so i just left it off since the wires looked chewed up. start there. ( i can't help further)
2) Its the VIC, and the red square that i've seen is caused by either the battery level getting low, or the "coolant sensor bad"
3) have you checked the transmission fluid level?
4) sell the 4.0 and buy a 5.9
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
tibrocks

thanks, great help
1-3 i'll have a look
4 .. honestly I would but it's a bit late now.. i'll stick with the 4.0 for the moment..
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

An for the VIC the red square is "usually" the VIC just being well, an annoying little guy. So nothing may actually be wrong with your jeep, but that may NOT always be the case. The coolant sensor bad, mine just pops out of the coolant reservoir (that word is tough to spell) now mine is also a V8, not sure about the I6. So i just push mine back in and it goes away, until i shake it loose again.

And a couple issues back of Jeep magazine had a ton of info on "cheap" 4.0 go fast parts/mods. maybe ill find it and if no one else chimes in (since i'm out of my world on the I6) ill list them off for you.
Unread 09-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
tibrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorcode3 View Post
An for the VIC the red square is "usually" the VIC just being well, an annoying little guy. So nothing may actually be wrong with your jeep, but that may NOT always be the case. The coolant sensor bad, mine just pops out of the coolant reservoir (that word is tough to spell) now mine is also a V8, not sure about the I6. So i just push mine back in and it goes away, until i shake it loose again.

And a couple issues back of Jeep magazine had a ton of info on "cheap" 4.0 go fast parts/mods. maybe ill find it and if no one else chimes in (since i'm out of my world on the I6) ill list them off for you.
) good thing to know about the VIC..

That would be great, thanks!!
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
backyardjeeper
1992 XJ Cherokee 

IIRC you can drop a 99+ intake, and a good header into it. That's probably the most bang for a small amount of bucks.
or regear. Thats always fun.
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Well, first thing right off the bat, and I won't knock ya for it cause you're new to Jeeps; it's not a car, it's a Jeep. Can't believe the others above didn't point that out.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Chec the transmission fluid level... You need to have driven it till the engine is up to operating temp.. so at least 15 minutes or so.. Then park it.. Put it into neutral while the engine is running.. Pull the parking brake.. (assuming yours works) if not get some bricks for the wheels so it wont roll.. Then pull the dipstick.. wipe it clean. push it all the way back in and check the fluid condition and level.. It should be clear/pink/redish and not smell like burnt wood.

Your either low on transmission fluid, or due for a transmission fluid and filter change, or your transmission is going out.. Sometimes the signs of a bad tranny are no reverse and delayed engagement
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

"Every time someone calls a jeep a car, God kills a kitten."

99+ intake, much better flowing than your intake manifold, may not and much power but increased throttle response. Also a nice exhaust, go with kolak or iro.
Cleaning the IAC will give a really great increase in throttle response
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I would be more concerned with fixing bad stuff first then throwing upgrades on it.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The transmission issue may be convertor drain back.

After you are sure your fluid is right as described and it still does it, idle in neutral, not park, for 30 seconds before going to drive or reverse.

If this makes it work better, the in-line check valve may be missing or stuck open.

Cheerio!
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
jsadler
1994 ZJ 

Your transmission issue may be the shift cable. If reverse worked good when it worked, and your fluid looks good, check the cable. You may have the tranny in nuetral when the shifter sais reverse.
Your VIC may be telling you something needs fixing, or it may (as others have said) be stupid. Mine is. It thinks the drivers door is a jar. (The switch works fine. Dome light works like it should and all.) It was right about the tail light and washer fluid though..........
You want more power? Who doesn't. You need to figure out how much and why and what you're gonna do with it. Big increase for cheap....engine swap. Turbo is an option. The 4.0 works well under light boost, and has a solid design if you wanted to beef it up and go extreme. I don't recomend trying it if you don't have a real good understanding of how turbocharging works. Stroker kit is a good option especially if your gonna be doing a rebuild anyway. gives you a big increase in low end torque, which you prolly want in a jeep anyways. As with almost any stock engine out there, there's a lot of power to be found working the head. (Leave the porting to someone that knows what they're doing.) There are cams available for the 4.0 to complement the head work, or to perform with a stock head. As far as quick bolt on items, there's the cold air intakes (much debate about these. The gist of it....yes, they improve flow over the stock airbox, but they compromise the intakes exposure to water and dirt, they are expensive, and the stock airbox is more than sufficiant for the 4.0 Not a good bang for buck choice with the 4.0) As for exhaust, headers seem to be a popular choice. If you get them, it's worth wrapping them to keep as much heat away from the intake as you can. If your planning bigger tires, plan on doing a regear. The right gears can make all the difference in how your jeep feels when your driving it.
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
The transmission issue may be convertor drain back.

After you are sure your fluid is right as described and it still does it, idle in neutral, not park, for 30 seconds before going to drive or reverse.

If this makes it work better, the in-line check valve may be missing or stuck open.

Cheerio!
I was going to say that.. ") On my 5.9 if its been sitting overnight and I start it up and hit reverse it will just sit there, Of course itll move if i step on the gas but it doesnt move on its own like it would if you parked say at a grocery store got some milk and got back to the Jeep and backed outa the parking spot.

I found putting it in neutral for like 5 seconds while i put my seatbelt on fills up the convertor and then going into reverse will fix that problem.. I also hear my convertor spinning and filling up when i do this.. Its really wierd.. and something i figured out maybe 2 weeks ago.. I know my check valve is on the line and it isnt stuck closed.. but I am not sure if its stuck open or if the ball is gone completetly.. My guess is the ball is gone or stuck open.. The previous owner did a lot of stuff to this Jeep i find new things everytime i work on it.. so it wouldnt suprise me if he removed the ball. I remember when i unplugged the rubber hose to check if the line was stuck closed.. it would drain atf and never stop.. So my guess is the ball is gone, or like you said stuck open

I want to ask, is it bad if the convertor is empty like that then you pop it into reverse and step on the gas to get moving ? Like I said when i go to neutral i can hear something spinning up and then the noise goes away, when i do that itll move in reverse on its own.. This is only when its been sitting for awhile mind you
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
tibrocks

awesome! thanks everyone
and yes, it's not a car, it's a Jeep!!

cheers!
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
buddyjaet
1996 ZJ 

He did say he was NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
Well, first thing right off the bat, and I won't knock ya for it cause you're new to Jeeps; it's not a car, it's a Jeep. Can't believe the others above didn't point that out.
Everyone deserves one mistake, just too bad they used up theirs on the first post.
buddyjaet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.